Help, my CT570's anti-shock is dying...
May 6, 2003 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
Just within the last few days I noticed that the anti-shock on my Panasonic CT570 has not been functioning properly. I often walk with the 570 in my pants pocket, and whenever I try to do that now, it skips like crazy. Also if I try to pause it, sometimes it doesn't pause right away, there is a *very* slight delay (fractions of a second) before it pauses.

Anyways, the skipping is really annoying me, any suggestions as to what it might be? Thanks a lot for any help you can give.

(PS. Don't let my post count mislead you, I know nothing about this stuff... try and keep the electronic lingo to a minimum, hehe. So I don't get confused.
confused.gif
redface.gif
)

May 7, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey Sapphire,

I had a similar problem with my Panasonic SL-SX500. The anti-skip protection seemed to have failed completely, and turned into a skip-enhancement technology more than anything.

I ended up going and buying a new Panasonic PCDP (SL-CT790- ugh that was a mistake). After having the SL-CT790 for a little while I realized I didn't like it.

I went and put brand new batteries in it, not the old alkaline rechargables I've had for about two years in it - and voila, it works again.

Moral of the story?

Try new batteries - and don't get anything like the SL-CT790.

Anyone done a review of the SL-CT790? Would it be worth anyone's time for me to write a review of why I hate it?

May 7, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Clutz
Try new batteries - and don't get anything like the SL-CT790.

Anyone done a review of the SL-CT790? Would it be worth anyone's time for me to write a review of why I hate it?

Hey, I own an SL-CT790 myself, and though its headphone-out is better than most other current-model PCDPs (but with a very slight hiss), the US/Canadian market version of that PCDP has one big drawback that eliminates it from consideration: It has no line-out jack at all. And since the remote is required to even turn off the EQ (which is set to S-XBS by default after the batteries had been drained), the lack of a line-out means that you'll need the remote to even connect a headphone amp, and many high-end interconnects with at least one mini-plug have mini-plugs whose handles are too big to fit the remote's housing. A lesser drawback is that the 48-second compressed anti-skip cannot be turned off at all (although it compresses the sound less than previous anti-skip circuits).

So, what's my verdict? The North American market SL-CT790 delivers good performance by current standards, but is very cumbersome to set up if you plan to use an amp.

May 7, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Hey, I own an SL-CT790 myself, and though its headphone-out is better than most other current-model PCDPs (but with a very slight hiss), the US/Canadian market version of that PCDP has one big drawback that eliminates it from consideration: It has no line-out jack at all. And since the remote is required to even turn off the EQ (which is set to S-XBS by default after the batteries had been drained), the lack of a line-out means that you'll need the remote to even connect a headphone amp, and many high-end interconnects with at least one mini-plug have mini-plugs whose handles are too big to fit the remote's housing. A lesser drawback is that the 48-second compressed anti-skip cannot be turned off at all (although it compresses the sound less than previous anti-skip circuits).

So, what's my verdict? The North American market SL-CT790 delivers good performance by current standards, but is very cumbersome to set up if you plan to use an amp.

I think the SL-CT790 sounds okay (although, not as good as my old SL-SX500 - particularly because it's not nearly as loud) - that's not why I am faulting it. I'm faulting it for engineering-design issues. My SL-SX500 was built like a tank, I could put it in the front pocket of my pants/shorts (often the only pocket I have when i go out), and not worry about it. It's aluminum lid was strong and hard and resisted the minor downward pressure exerted on it if I were to say, lean over to tie my shoes. The SL-CT790's lid is soft and flimsy. The whole CDP doesn't feel nearly as sturdy as my SL-SX500 did.

I also think the way the external battery pack was attacked to the SL-SX500 was much more intelligent. It screwed securely on, so that you didn't have to worry about the battery pack connecter getting caught, rotated and broken. I don't understand why on the current external battery pack for the SL-CT 790 they didn't use a standard circular power plug, and instead went with some crazy square plug. Because of it's design, any torque at all damages the connector from the battery pack to the PCDP. I'm usually very careful with my equipment, but somehow I've already managed to damage this uber-sensitive external battery pack.

And I dislike the remote. The remote on the comparable Sony PCDP is built much better. I've found the start/stop button to be finicky from the word go - I have to press it pretty hard to get it to start or stop.

All of the problems I have with the Panasonic SLCT 790 stem from not very thoughtful design issues. It would not have been terribly difficult for them to have made the lid a little bit sturdier, allowed the volume to go a bit louder at the expense of battery life (if I want to go through batteries more quickly, why should Panasonic care - I out right reject the argument about them saving my hearing), a slightly more intelligently designed battery pack (I groaned when I first took it out of the box), and a sturdier remote control.

I wouldn't spend the $200 that I did on the PCDP again: I would put it towards an iPod, or my fund to get a new CD player to replace my Pioneer multidisc changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back