Help My Brother w/ Selecting Full Size Wireless Headphones (~$350)
Nov 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NCSUZoSo

500+ Head-Fier
So my brother wants to get a set of comfortable over the ear headphones that don't use any cables.  Are there any proprietary technologies that are better than Bluetooth out there?  Range isn't a concern at all, he will be using this on airplanes and sometimes at racetracks.  He wouldn't mind noise canceling for the plane (if you can turn it on and off would be best) and he knows no matter what you have, a NASCAR testing session (he is a Test Engineer for a team) is going to be retardedly loud and won't be able to really enjoy and audio, but he may watch Movies/TV in between their time on the track.

He is looking at the Sennheiser MM 500-X headphones: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_143MM500X/Sennheiser-MM-500-X.html?tp=60838

They use some type of algorithm that is supposed to give you the best quality currently possible across Bluetooth:
The MM 500-X headphones also support the latest aptX technology — a sophisticated audio encoder that delivers true high-fidelity stereo sound wirelessly over Bluetooth with aptX-enabled sources.  

I told him I knew for sure a few years ago Bluetooth could not handle lossless audio formats without compression, is that still true today?  If it is true, is there another technology that could be used on an airplane that works at a higher bandwidth?  If he is stuck with Bluetooth is there another algorithm that is better than aptX for Bluetooth?

He is going to be using a Galaxy S4 as his source and sometimes at home with his Denon 3313 Receiver (just close it's no longer for sale and you can see it all).  I love Crutchfield and their Customer Service is unrivaled, but I don't think he has to be so limited on his choices as to solely use them, especially for a set of headphones.

If Bluetooth is his only option for what he wants, are the MM 500-X really the best in that price range?  Also the answering calls through them and stuff is all optional, he doesn't have to have that, he is more concerned about sound quality and comfort with no wires. 

Thanks for any guidance you can give, I don't know a damn thing when it comes to wireless headphones, aside from I know they used to not be able to handle FLAC at full quality.

BTW, he will spend over $350 if there is something out there worth a larger investment.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 4
http://www.audio360.org/headphones_a0036_review_pendulumic_stance_s1+.php

http://www.amazon.com/PENDULUMIC-Wireless-Headphone--Audiophile-Freedom-Bluetooth/dp/B00OG7VW64/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417862860&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=pedulumic

I think this is what he is looking for. This is probably one of the best bluetooth headsets out there.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Yea after reading the Stance S1+ is what I told him.

He wanted to know how the Samsung Level Over and Sennheiser 500x stacked up against them.

Does the S1+ have aftermarket cushions?

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 4
Yea after reading the Stance S1+ is what I told him.

He wanted to know how the Samsung Level Over and Sennheiser 500x stacked up against them.

Does the S1+ have aftermarket cushions?

It doesn't have any aftermarket pads that I know of.

I talked to Warren about the MM-500x and he says it doesnt match up to the Stance

Andre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back