Help my brother get the right MP3 for Xmas
Dec 11, 2003 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Randu

Head-Fier
Hello Porta-Rig crew

I'm pretty clueless on this front, but I drew my brother's name for Xmas and am thinking that he'd like an MP3 player. He's real into burning CDs off the internet so I figure logical next step...

We have about a $150 target range on the deal, so it looks like the nice ones with lots of memory are off the list for me (those are $250/$350 range, right?).

I don't want to get a chicken-**** player that he won't appreciate/use, so I'm leaning toward something with thin on-board memory, but with a card slot so he can put in whatever he wants later (what is most prevalent CF, SmartMedia, ...?).

Whatdaya think? Am I on the right path?

Any suggestions on a player that might fit the bill? or, if I'm off track, point me in the right direction.

BTW, I was figuring to add a pair of Senn PX200s to the package.
($39 @ e-cost)

Thanks for your help!

Randu

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 17
best thing in the $150 or under range is probably Rio Nitrus. very small/light, 1.5gb, USB2. as cheap as $130 after rebates

here's a good place to comparison shop www.compuplus.com

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 17
ya i agree... there really isnt anything that's better then rio nitrus under $150 right now..

1.5gig should be enough!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 17
Thanks gents
cool.gif

That's a LOT more mem than I expected at that $ !!

So the removable media card thing is not a good idea?

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 17
flash memory are expansive compared to HDDs..

when the higher flash memory gets, the higher price tag it will have. like iriver's 1gig flash player...$449 -___-

Dec 11, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 17
You can get the Belkin FM transmitter...dunno if it is compatible though - or you can make your own FM transmitter in a simple circuit and run it off the car stereo.

Alternatively - most top end cars stereos have an AUX input or CD Changer input which can be converted to RCA input with a simple $30 cable.

go to www.crutchfield.com and identify your stereo and check for accessories...

If it is a cassette player then you get cassette adapters with a cassette at one end and a miniplug at the other end which you can plug into the DAP. shove the cassette in and away you go with your mp3's from the player
very_evil_smiley.gif

I havent used one coz I have an in dash CD receiver...

cheers!!

Dec 11, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
If it is a cassette player then you get cassette adapters with a cassette at one end and a miniplug at the other end which you can plug into the DAP. shove the cassette in and away you go with your mp3's from the player
very_evil_smiley.gif

I havent used one coz I have an in dash CD receiver...

cheers!!

I think those are pretty crappy. I used one once and the sound was awfull. I might have just put in a bad tape. I don't know whether my tape-player was the reason or the adapter, though. You'll be better of with the AUX input if you have one.

Dec 11, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by mowses
I think those are pretty crappy. I used one once and the sound was awfull. I might have just put in a bad tape. I don't know whether my tape-player was the reason or the adapter, though. You'll be better of with the AUX input if you have one.

They can sound ok, but only if you have a good tape deck and a high quality adapter (which is rare...). Unless you specifically went out and bought a deck with a really high quality tape deck, it's likely yours is noisy and will just sound like plain garbage. I've run mp3 and cd players into tape adapters before...and on the majority of decks I've heard, you get a very high noise floor, and they muddy up the sound quite a bit. Aux inputs are the way to go, the difference is night and day.

Dec 11, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by SpoonMan
They can sound ok, but only if you have a good tape deck and a high quality adapter (which is rare...). Unless you specifically went out and bought a deck with a really high quality tape deck, it's likely yours is noisy and will just sound like plain garbage. I've run mp3 and cd players into tape adapters before...and on the majority of decks I've heard, you get a very high noise floor, and they muddy up the sound quite a bit. Aux inputs are the way to go, the difference is night and day.

I could not agree more.

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by HackofDestruct
Check out eBay

We just got a 5gb iPod for 167.50 with shipping
and then 16.90 for a new firewire card.

So its a bit over your range but its nice

Wow

That's pretty great. Which iPod? is it 2.0 USB?

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 17
Duhhh Firewire uhhh OK

Hey, I said I was clueless on this stuff
blink.gif

Note to self: OK get the Nitrus while it's there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back