Help, my baby won't eat "real food"
Nov 14, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 30
bootman, stop. you're making me hungry for mom's cooking. fried bacalao over white rice, with raw white onions, boiled potatoes. lots of olive oil. yummm.

here in phoenix, it's hard finding a carribbean restaurant that does central american, cuban, puerto rican, jamaican, south american, spanish and north italian dishes. at least i have little havana restaurants.

i always wanted to open a store that had products from all over the US; like real dutch noodles from pennsylvania, maltas from the carribbean, collar greens from the south, the best hot sauces from Louisiana, corn beef and cabbage (and beans) from boston, pizza from ny, olive oil from Spain, beer from south america, and RUGGLES from Britain, etc.

as your child grows up - educate him with many fine restaurants. i wish there was a real good indian restaurant, here. at least i found a good greek restaurant, so i'm happy. but as a puerto rican i miss my favourite food - corn beef and cabbage and potatoes (with olive oil). throw in brussel sprouts and i'm in heaven.
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 30
Sounds like there is a market there for a nice little bodega.
I actually wish I could cook more latin food.
I can make just about everything else but I can't seem to get "el sabor" right.
Thank god my parents (and inlaws) are still around.
I have places to get my fix.
smily_headphones1.gif

...A boricua in the desert.
[size=xx-small](sounds like a killer name for a store!
biggrin.gif
)[/size]
Don't you miss the playa?
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #18 of 30
no, i don't miss the beach. i'm a mountain man. even in pr i have to live in the mountains.

i found out many years ago that i can not go into the ocean. when i became psychic-ly (sic) sensative, going into the ocean causes me to be depressed for 3 to 6 months.

when i was in florida, i walked like a drunken sailor whenever i walked past the ailes (sic) of seashells. i can 'feel' black magic books (that have been used) from 10 feet away - they give me headaches.

and for many years i could not shake hands with people. some were vampires (felt them draining my lifeforce), others caused me to be sick to my stomach, and others gave me nightmares for weeks ( i could see their life and everything that was going on in it).

btw, mom just sent me some bacalao, so that i can cook it myself.
wink.gif
at least i was able to get the salted cod in eastern pennsylvania. and yoga olive oil. and white yams. and yucca.

as it is, my mom and sister have to send me care packages to tide me over. things like de-cafinated spanish coffee, maltas, yoga beans and olive oil, etc.

one thing i have learned to love is pa-e-ya (pron-nounced because i can't spell it). there's this spanish restaurant on 40th street & 8th ave - makes the best rice&lobster&clams&mussells&oysters dish i ever tasted. $25 for a big pot. and i ate it down to the last, single, rice morsel.

so that's me - a desert/mountain man who loves seafood. man, fresh, fried on a pan, tuna... or trout, with nuts, in a lemon butter sauce...

as Homer would say, "Chuletas" <drool>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the 'sabor' is a problem - they use too much lard & achote. otherwise sobrito has too much MSG. msg, as you may, or may not know, besides causing dreams, can cause heart palipations.

learn to use herbs, instead. saffron is a good one to start with. and there's nothing like fried plantins with a heavy dose of fresh garlic. <drool>.

guess i'll be doing all the eating for your kid.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 30
bookman, "Tony Soprano's Hometown"? is that brooklyn or newark? i'll get the name of a good steak house in connecticut (i think that great one in brooklyn closed, right?) man i miss that seafood place in the bronx, something-CITY. and i miss the cuban sandwiches in newark. at least there's a place in Tempe, AZ. that does Philly Cheese Steaks
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
bookman, "Tony Soprano's Hometown"? is that brooklyn or newark? ... and i miss the cuban sandwiches in newark. at least there's a place in Tempe, AZ. that does Philly Cheese Steaks
wink.gif

You mean the cuban sandwiches on Mt Prospect Ave?
Yum.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the show, Tony lives in Livingston, NJ.

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #21 of 30
My 2.5 year old brother hardly eats anything. He only weighs like 25 pounds or so. All he wants to do a bang his silverware and make a scene. Either that or drink. (Usually soy milk, he donen't drink drink...) If your kid eats a lot of anything you should count your blessings and keep giving it to him. Sounds to me like he eats a pretty good diet too. BTW, is he off breast milk yet? My brother has a pretty bad set of genes (different dad than me) in terms of dependancy habbits and he wasn't weaned untill he was 2, which really seems to have componded his behavioural and dietary problems. Sounds like your kid doesn't have these problems, so like I said, count your blessings.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
My wife obsesses about his diet, yet SHE doesn't eat much variety!

Well, I am mostly a meat eater and his mom is mostly a vegetarian, but she would eat meat sometimes. But while pregnant she was 18 pounds overweigth, eating meat, tacos, and a bunch of stuff. And the baby likes all that, except beef, pork, turkey and chicken. What's funny, is that he likes taco's, made with beef meat of course.

Lamarck was rigth after all.

And , Boot and Walli, I got a bunch of recipes at MSN and some places I've found at Google. Loock for latin cousine and you'll find plenty stuff. Most is easy to cook and the ingredients are very easy to find. And gracias muchachos!!!

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #23 of 30
My twin boys are 14 months now, and they started on Cheerios, of all things. Then bits of soft fruit, cut up vegies (like the Gerber "Graduates", macaroni, cut up hot dogs, etc...

On thing they like once in a while is a soft tortilla with a slice of mild cheese - sliced up for convenience.

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 30
Onix, "And the baby likes all that, except beef, pork, turkey and chicken." that only leaves duck, pigeon, venison, rabbit, snake, and lamb, right?

Nov 17, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Onix, "And the baby likes all that, except beef, pork, turkey and chicken." that only leaves duck, pigeon, venison, rabbit, snake, and lamb, right?

Well, what I meant is that he would eat a taco with beef meat. but would not touch the meat alone. And we give him fine sliced meat in the tacos, the same we do when we give it to him alone. Maybe he just likes the tortilla.

Nov 17, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #28 of 30
Hola Onix:

Give your kid a few years. In due time, he will eat everything. Mexican food is really delicious!

I have traveled all over the world, and the only place where I ordered a second full plate was in Taxco, Mexico! Yes, the food was that good! The waiter, of course, was in disbelief: "Lo mismo...de nuevo?" So he asked me about three times to be sure about the order. After that lunch, I could hardly walk. Eventually, I found a place to lay down for a while.

I really doubt I'll do that again. However, I have no regrets: I have never had food that tasty and good! I believe it must have been the spices and condiments used by that restaurant.

What's the name of the restaurant? I forget the name. However, it is up the hill from Taxco's main plaza. So if you take your son there, he will eat everything...and I mean everything!

Buena suerte!

Nov 18, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Gariver
Hola Onix:

Give your kid a few years. In due time, he will eat everything. Mexican food is really delicious!

I have traveled all over the world, and the only place where I ordered a second full plate was in Taxco, Mexico! Yes, the food was that good! The waiter, of course, was in disbelief: "Lo mismo...de nuevo?" So he asked me about three times to be sure about the order. After that lunch, I could hardly walk. Eventually, I found a place to lay down for a while.

I really doubt I'll do that again. However, I have no regrets: I have never had food that tasty and good! I believe it must have been the spices and condiments used by that restaurant.

What's the name of the restaurant? I forget the name. However, it is up the hill from Taxco's main plaza. So if you take your son there, he will eat everything...and I mean everything!

Buena suerte!

Hey Gariver, Taxco is great! And Viva Borinquen!

Nov 18, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #30 of 30
Viva Mexico also!

I will finish my Taxco story because I left out the funny parts! Here we go...

Once I found a low wall to lay down, I watched the people pass by and look at me. From their looks, I realized I looked really bad. One group of youngsters came by, looked and stopped. Then they held an impromptu conference. After a little while, the leader of the group approached me and said: "Are you all right? Are you sick?" I quickly answered: "I ate too much...that's all. Thanks!" Then the leader went back to the group and said: "He is fine! He just ate too much!" Oh, man! I wanted to laugh. Great show! However, if I laughed, I would have ended up at the local hospital.

Within 15 minutes, another group of kids came by, and they did the same ritual: Stop, conference, leader comes by, etc., etc. I could not believe it! It was amazingly similar to the first group!They even asked the same questions. Once again, I felt the urge to laugh, but I held it back. So after they left, I hid my face with a handkerchief to simulate a siesta. From then on, I continued to digest my food in peace for a couple of hours. Ha!

OK. What's the moral of the story? Never eat two plates of food! Even if it is the best food you have ever had, you are better off coming back to the same restaurant on the next day.

I must add this: Mexicans are caring people! When you are in need of help, they are very willing to help you. Believe me, that's very, very nice!

Onix: Once again, good luck with your kid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back