Help, My 225's are stuck to my ears!
Mar 27, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 32
Well, second thoughts. You listen to the ROCK mainly, isn't. Man... they rock as hell, such impact that you will be blown away for life. but once again, not sure if you can like them for a long time use. but let me tell you, if I only had the money, they will be with me a long time ago. Because if you want to be kicked off, PS1 IS THE ONE TO DO SO
very_evil_smiley.gif

Something else, sorry.... When you let us know about T10.1 with K1, cos I still holding back with ordering one
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soon they shall be mine! *evil laughter*

Man I hope I don't end up wanting to keep both the RS-1s AND the PS-1s, I'm not sure I can afford to do that!

eek.gif

We shall see...

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed do get better with a amp. I use them with my DV and its very nice to say the least.

I loved the MS1, in fact Slaughter got them from me, which i got from Boomana...I love the circle of life for headphones and head-fiers.

I really enjoyed the MS1 sound as it got me addicted to Grados.

Wow...seems like my "new" ms-1's have been around the block
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...seems like my "new" ms-1's have been around the block
biggrin.gif

Indeed they have. Let me be the first to say that they are in STELLAR condition. They sound and look fantastic.

I just love the life of headphones on Headfi. Cans get to see soo many places and meet soo many new and interesting people. Not to mention they get to listen to everyones musical tastes....

God bless head-fi.....wait, CURSE YOU HEADFI FOR DRAINING MY WALLET!!!

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure, I've never actually directly compared the 225's to the MS-1's, but when I tried the MS-1's at the last philly meet, I was really impressed. Comparing them to my HF-1's, they had a much warmer character (which I love), and most importantly, they sound right with the bowl pads, whereas I find that I enjoy my HF-1's best with flats to tone down the brighter character that they possess in stock form. The 225's, however, are even brighter than the HF-1's imo, and not even close to sounding as good. I'd love to hear both MS-1 and 225 at once, though. I'm guessing the 225's tighter character would lend it a better rock sound while the MS-1 might sound better for classical and jazz requiring a more natural tone.

The 225 and MS1 aren't as different as you might think. The 225 really isn't brighter, I just find that the treble extends further. Now my ears might just not be sensitive to treble, so this the opinion of my ears. Also, I am using a tube amp so that might tone them down a bit. The MS1 with the comfies is definitely warmer than the 225, but the MS1 with bowls is similar to the 225.

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #22 of 32
Okay, now I am even more happy. I had been using my 580's and 501s for blues and jazz, but these 225's are very good for these genres as well. I am listening to Diana Krall right now and wow! The clarity of my 501's with added impact!!! And the soundstage is a lot better than people describe.

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #24 of 32
You may not be blown away since you already have the SR80. I haven't heard the 80 so I cant comment on how much of an upgrade it is. The guy I bought the 225 from is into Jazz and he bought and quickly sold the 225 to me. He preferred the sound of the 501. So you may not be as impressed as I am with the 225 for Jazz. That's my disclaimer.

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #26 of 32
I'm kind of curious what the differences really are between the Grado/Alessandro drivers. Is it possible to have a significantly better set of drivers in an SR-60, for example, than a RS-1, if they're all based on the same design? Someday, I'd like to have another set of Grados to answer that question - maybe the MS-Pros.

Grado curiosity killed the cat a.k.a. upgradoitis.

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #27 of 32
MS PRO have 2 steps back from your face, less colored, more neutral and musical sound comparing to RS1. They are punchy as well, but only when you use them with flats. Highs are not harsh, what so ever, and they are very polite to your ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of curious what the differences really are between the Grado/Alessandro drivers. Is it possible to have a significantly better set of drivers in an SR-60, for example, than a RS-1, if they're all based on the same design? Someday, I'd like to have another set of Grados to answer that question - maybe the MS-Pros.

Grado curiosity killed the cat a.k.a. upgradoitis.

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #28 of 32
Glad you are enjoying the 225s Slaughter!

In all fairness, I did like the 225s for some jazz stuff, but I'm totally hooked to the treble clarity and "space" of the 501. The 225 is great for some small venue stuff though, when you want to feel intimate and "on the stage". The fact that it sounds great straight out of an iPod certainly helps too!

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #29 of 32
Yeah, the space created by the 501 is amazing and I guess I dont listen to too much big band jazz. I am listening to more intimate arrangements, so the 225 is working perfectly for that. And yes I am really ENJOYING these. If it weren't for you I probably wouldn't have jumped to Grados so soon. Thanks again!

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soon they shall be mine! *evil laughter*

Man I hope I don't end up wanting to keep both the RS-1s AND the PS-1s, I'm not sure I can afford to do that!

eek.gif

We shall see...

oh man, are you in for a treat! i owned rs1 for over a decade. couldn't have loved em any more than I did. but wanted to try the gs1k last year when it came out so, sold my rs1's and other stuff for the gs1k.

for rock (75.233% of my listening) i missed the sonic approach of the traditional grado line. which to me meant the rs1. so i was gonna buy a pair again asap and keep the gs1k's.

then i was offered the PS1. did some reading and asking and just had to try em. sold the gs1k and some other stuff and bought a brand new ps1k for $1500. figured i can always save for another gs1k...

The PS1's are to my ear the ultimate expression (SO FAR) of the John Grado trad house sound. Simply incredible. No longer miss the RS1's as these are just much much MORE of the same mojo. you are gonna go crasy with these.

I still miss my GS1000's for acoustic (jazz and folk) and classical a lot. but it is worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back