Help: Mojo Momentums and PM3's
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yianni1066

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm having a first world problem and hoping to hear other peoples views on the following:

I am using my iPhone 6, Fiio amp, and my Sennheiser Momentums (The supposed over ear version, either way it's the larger cup version.) I have £400 to spend and I'm thinking it has to be one of these two things, Chord Mojo or the Oppo PM3 Hearphones.

Basically shall I replace my Momentums with the PM3's or add the Mojo to my existing gear?

I play the following source types:
Deezer HQ
My own 320 MP3 rips &
Flac's including 24bit/44.1 & 96 & 192khz using Onkyo HF Player on my phone, (although I wonder what I'm really getting as the phone's D/A converter is doing the work.)

Nonetheless I don't want a 'Hi-Res-or-not' debate as I have done many ABX tests on different equipment and set-ups and I can't tell the difference, I don't feel a difference, and with extended play I didn't feel any different. Sorry.

However, I can tell the difference between Apple's ear buds, the highly acclaimed 'What Hi-Fi's' award winning headphone, the AKG Y50's (£70) and my Momentums (£200). This proved to me that spending money on improving what I can hear is far more important than buying equipment to play Hi-Res that I cannot hear.

So, will the Mojo (£390) improve my experience with my Momentums far more than simply switching out my Momentums for the PM3's (£350)?

Any help and all views will be greatly appreciated... Even if it's to say that I'm an idiot, cos I probably am!

Yianni.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 15
Hey
The mojo is a great dac and amp combi and will improve just about any headphone you can have. However, I also think the pm3s are a step up from momentums, the only thing I wish they had was more bass. I would recommend getting the mojo regardless as it would improve any setup and then maybe snagging a used pm3, pm3 and mojo is a great combo.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 15
There's no point getting a Mojo if all you have is a MOMENTUM to use with it and you couldn't afford to also upgrade your headphones.

Hi, and thanks for the replies!!

I'm guessing by what you're saying, is that with the Momentum's a Mojo wouldn't really improve my set up because they're just not good enough. Cool, I hear you! Which headphones would you recommend? Maybe I'll get those for now and get the Mojo in a few months when I can afford it. Are the PM'3's in this category or something else?

Thank you for your help!

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 15
I'm sure it would sound better with the Mojo, but not nearly as much of an improvement as upgrading your headphones.

(I drove more than a few headphones with the Mojo, but owned the MOMENTUM before then.)

Here are some headphones I like within your budget of ~$500 USD.

new:
Audeze SINE
Koss KTXPRO1
Sennheiser HD 600
Sennheiser HD 650

used:
HIFIMAN HE500
Koss ESP950
STAX (my favorite)

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 15
I would recommend getting the mojo regardless as it would improve any setup and then maybe snagging a used pm3, pm3 and mojo is a great combo.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.
Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but wouldn't it be better to get the PM3's new and maybe buy a used Mojo?

In my mind headphones are easily damaged and abused.

Thanks.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.
Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but wouldn't it be better to get the PM3's new and maybe buy a used Mojo?

In my mind headphones are easily damaged and abused.

Thanks.
Personally I think in this case it’s better to buy the headphones used, i.e depending on their condition. I bought a used pm3 set and it was like brand new and I saved a ton there. Also in the case of mojo I have heard that improper usage could lead to a faster battery drain overtime. Again, I don’t think it’s a prevalent issue but it does happen in some used units like in mine lol. I sold my used unit and bought a new one, and due to brexit I actually turned a profit lol. I would rather not take any chances with that as with a used unit with battery issues you would have to ship it to uk I believe for repairs which can be costly especially if outside of 1 year warranty.

For headphones themselves, I have to second music alchemist here, you need a good pair of phones. Pm3s are very easily driven so that is a good start. Phones like hd650 are very good but require a good amp. Surprisingly mojo can drive 650s well. Audition as many as you can before settling on one. Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 15
Surprisingly mojo can drive 650s well.

It shouldn't be surprising. It has far more than enough power (and sufficient specs) to cleanly drive it to any realistic SPL without clipping. Same goes for the HD 800. (With that headphone, in my experience, the Mojo sounded roughly as good as much more powerful DAC/amps costing thousands.)

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 15
It shouldn't be surprising. It has far more than enough power (and sufficient specs) to cleanly drive it to any realistic SPL without clipping. Same goes for the HD 800. (With that headphone, in my experience, the Mojo sounded roughly as good as much more powerful DAC/amps costing thousands.)
It was surprising to me because of how tiny it is. I bought the mojo for my iems and pm3s and also becuase I thuoght it was more of a dac than an amp and as hd 650s reputation went, I thought I needed a powerful amp to drive the 650s. But it works really well with my hd 6xx.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 15
For a upgrade you should always think headphone first unless you like their sound but it is not being driven well enough. There are a lot of headphones that do just fine without a amp but I think most all do a bit better with one . The Mojo is highly regarded for the reason that it is very good for the price and maybe a bit more. As for the HD-650’s and the Mojo yes it has enough power to run them well but I for one do not like the combo. They HD-800’s and the Mojo much different story I really like that combo a lot. I for one don’t care much for the PM-3’s not that they sound bad I just think they are too lifeless for me maybe too polite would have been a nicer thing to say. These are just my opinions and YMMV.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 15
I for one don’t care much for the PM-3’s not that they sound bad I just think they are too lifeless for me maybe too polite would have been a nicer thing to say. These are just my opinions and YMMV.

Thank you for your views, I appreciate it! May I ask, what closed-back headphones would you recommend paired with the Mojo for no more than $500?

Thanks,
Yianni.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 15
I would look for a pair of Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs and if you want a more neutral set Alpha Primes. They are some of the best closed backs I’ve heard. I have not heard them all but the best I have heard. For the price I have not heard better closed back headphones. There might be some I’m sure but this is the ones I like.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 15
For a upgrade you should always think headphone first unless you like their sound but it is not being driven well enough. There are a lot of headphones that do just fine without a amp but I think most all do a bit better with one . The Mojo is highly regarded for the reason that it is very good for the price and maybe a bit more. As for the HD-650’s and the Mojo yes it has enough power to run them well but I for one do not like the combo. They HD-800’s and the Mojo much different story I really like that combo a lot. I for one don’t care much for the PM-3’s not that they sound bad I just think they are too lifeless for me maybe too polite would have been a nicer thing to say. These are just my opinions and YMMV.

I like the hd 650 headphones, I listen to them on my project polaris as the amp and mojo as the dac. The combo seems to be good enough but I really liked them when I demoed them with the woo audio wa6 amp and mojo as the dac lol. That combo blew my mind lol. I dont use my pm3s anymore at all. I love the open back headphones too much now. I always liked the mids on pm3s but felt the bass impact left me wanting more. I still feel that for a new audiophile for starters the pm3s and mojo is a great combo.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 15
I like the hd 650 headphones, I listen to them on my project polaris as the amp and mojo as the dac. The combo seems to be good enough but I really liked them when I demoed them with the woo audio wa6 amp and mojo as the dac lol. That combo blew my mind lol. I dont use my pm3s anymore at all. I love the open back headphones too much now. I always liked the mids on pm3s but felt the bass impact left me wanting more. I still feel that for a new audiophile for starters the pm3s and mojo is a great combo.
Well I do t like the PM-3’s myself and would rather hear the He-400S. The WA 6 is a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back