Help modding iPod nano!
Mar 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mpawluk91

1000+ Head-Fier
I might get my dad a fifth gen iPod nano but 16 gb of space isn't gonna cut it. Am I able to replace the hdd or flash memory? I did it in my ipod video with a cf card.

I really wanted to get him the first gen nano (despite the explosive battery lol) but I guess u can't replace the flash memory. From what I understand the first nano sounds better than all other gens of nanos

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 10
As far as I am aware modding nano's isn't something that most people do.  Most of the mods are done as you said to either the video or the second gen mini.  May be better off finding a sansa clip plus for the money instead, nice thought though.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 10
The 5th Gen Nano has flash memory which is cannot be upgraded unless there is a pin compatible replacement chip and the firmware is adjusted to utilise the extra capacity. I didn't realise there were issues with the 1G batteries exploding. Expanding capacity is usually with TF cards and Apple elegance doesn't mix with that logic. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 10
You can do a straight swop with the microdrive up to 64 gig (128 if you can afford it)compact flash if that's any help.  Stick a new battery in it and your good to go again.  Loads of guides on the net and youtube on how to open it up.

Cheers

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 10
Oh so the mini uses a hdd? That's cool cause I bought an adapter and a cf card for my video and it only took 10 minutes to swap.

But will the same adapter for the 5.5 fit inside the ipod mini?

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
But will the same adapter for the 5.5 fit inside the ipod mini?

No it's even easier than that - the mini uses a microdrive which has the same pins as a compact flash card so you don't even need an adapter.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 10
http://www.head-fi.org/t/290743/my-32gb-flash-ipod-mini

Has all the info you need :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back