Help me work out how to refine my lineup
Nov 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fjrabon

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I think I almost have what I want figured out and settled, on, but I thought I'd take some feedback and see if anybody had any thoughts, and also create a space where I can kind of talk through the finishing touches on my headphone lineup.  I'll describe my listening situations, what I look for in terms of various scenarios, what I value and don't really care about in headphones, what types of music I listen to, etc.

First, let me start with the gear I currently have:

Amp: SSHM tube amp.  I made this, it's been a great little amp.  Probably won't ever sell it for sentimental reasons.
DAC: Hot Audio HOTUSB1 DAC (haven't used this in forever, but I technically still own it)
DAC/Amp combo: (current): Audio Engine D1 (plan on buying when next drop happens): Grace M9XX

Nady 64 band EQ UNIT

Headphones

Closed: Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ESW9, Denon D1001, Sennheiser HD439
Open: Sennheiser HD650, Grado SR225e, Audio Technica AD700
Portable: Koss KSC75, stock apple earphones

Music is sourced through:
iPhone 6S+ Apple Music streams (256kbps streaming option always on)
Apple Macbook Pro (mix of AAC, Apple Lossless, some FLAC)

Ways in which I listen/headphone needs:

Ok, the brunt of this is looking at how I actually listen to my headphones and reconciling that with the best fit gear for that.  So, I'll kind of go through ways/environments I listen and describe how I'm currently doing that (from most to least often):

1) Work:  I listen to a lot of jazz, classical and electronic music at work.  Typically vocals I find too distracting while working.  I work at a desk.  I share an office with one other person.  While this is a huge portion of the number of hours I am currently listening to music, it's not very engaged listening.  Essentially I need a comfortable closed can that isn't fatiguing and goes well with instrumental music.  Currently solving this with the Shure SRH840 and Audio Engine D1.  I currently leave the SRH840s at work.  I'm pretty/very happy with this combo here.

2) Out walking: I usually throw on headphones when I go out walking the dog or just out doing some photography.  This is semi-engaged listening and probably makes up about an 1.5 hours a day.  This is from my iPhone straight out of the jack.  I refuse to use a portable amp.  I have lived in the portable amp world before.  Just not worth it to me any more.  Here I use a combo of: SR225e, ESW9, KSC75.  I don't want anything that gives me tons of isolation, because I like to be somewhat aware of my surroundings.  Honestly part of the reason I use the Grados here at all is because I look for excuses to use them more.  But practicality wise I have definitely leaned more towards the ESW9 and KSC75s.  When walking I usually listen to most rock, alt-country, alternative.  I'm fairly satisfied here.  

3) In bed while reading: I typically listen in bed for about 30 minutes to an hour while reading.  This is typically classical music or lower energy jazz.  Chopin's nocturnes get a lot of play here.  The ESW9s are the primary solution here.  Need closed in case my girlfriend falls asleep, want something warm, comfortable and smooth.  

4) household chores: I usually throw on headphones while doing household chores, typically this is fun music and semi-engaged listening.  Here, depending on isolation needs, I am usually going with either the ESW9s or the SR225es. 

5) Running: about 45 minutes per day.  A lot of soul music, some rock.  Currently using KSC75s unless rain is threatening, in which case the stock apple buds.

6) relaxing in leather chair with a bourbon after work/on the weekend: honestly feel like this is what I base most of my headphone decisions on, even though when I look at it, it makes a very small portion of my listening.  It is however, my most critical listening.  It's when I notice all the little details of what I'm listening, notice my system's shortcomings, etc.  This is a pretty even mix of the HD650s and SR225es at present.  Use an audioengine D1 DAC through the unamped out, into the Nady EQ, into the SSHM currently.  Through recently I've been pretty frequently just going straight out of the D1.  Cutting the EQ out of the chain is a touch warm for the HD650 (both when using the SSHM and just the D1).  This is part of why I am thinking of ordering the Grace M9XX.  The D1 direct into the SR225e is a GREAT pairing.    The combo of the D1 into the EQ into the SSHM into the HD650 is also great.  

7) Traveling/coffeehouse: this varies a lot.  Next year we are taking a long international trip.  I also sometimes work out of a coffeehouse for work.  I don't have anything currently that's extreme isolation.  I will say I HATE the feeling of something stuffed in my ears, but I also hate the way almost every ANC headphone I've tried sounds.  Either they don't have enough ANC for me to bother with it (various audio technica and sennheiser ANC headphones) or sound crappy though isolate really well (BOSE QC).  Currently my solution has typically been the ESW9, because they're portable or the Denon D1001.  However they don't offer much isolation and I worry that I turn them up too high volume level wise and risk my hearing.  My inclination is custom molded IEMs, but don't want to spend that much on something I rarely use.  Refuse to do the whole portable amp thing here, again.  

What I typically look for in a headphone:

1) Fast.

2) Neutral/warm overall signature.  Hate sibilance. Like a very present upper midrange, solid/fast non-boomy bass

3) Medium depth soundstage.  Soundstage isn't super important to me, but it is nice.  Hate headphones that create artificially deep soundstage though (looking at you ultrasone)

My overall thoughts are:

1) while I like the HD650, I don't use it much and it adds a level of fussiness to my system that I feel like I can't justify.  But maybe that's cleaned up with the Grace M9XX.  But maybe I can just get rid of this level?  Or maybe I should upgrade it to something like the HD700 or RS2e.  I'd ideally like to get to the point of not "needing" an amp for anything I own.  Another thought is the RS2e here, and skipping the Grace M9XX, assuming the Audio Engine D1 will have as much synergy with the RS2e as it does with the SR225e.  Is it worth worrying this much about a type of listening that really only amounts to a couple of hours per week?  Another thought is just simplifying down the the SR225e I already have and living with its shortcomings, using the AD700 if I really want some soundstage.

2) I need some sort of ultra-isolating portable solution.  NO AMPS, not even the smallest Fiio.  Stock buds with silicone tips are out.  I hate the feel and the way I can hear my own jaw move with them in.  Would prefer them to be very portable.  I know I'm asking a lot here.  BOSE QCs may be the only way to go, though I hate spending that much for something I will use that infrequently and still not enjoy the way they sound.  Very flummoxed here.

3) Given the amount of time at work is it worth upgrading the work rig?  I feel like I'm very happy here, I ADORE the SRH840 + D1 combo.  So my inclination is no, but, eh, I'm open to any change, really.

4) I'd like to simplify to where everything is 1/8" terminations, and avoid bulky amps, but if that didn't mean a compromise.  I feel like I own too many headphones at this point.  In an ideal world I maybe use 4 pairs of headphones: one closed kept at work, one portable open, one nice portable closed, one high end open.  I'd like everything to be listenable straight out of an iPhone, but have one that really comes alive with a DAC/AMP combo.  

My inclination here, after reading all of that is:

1) Sell off HD650, SR225e (had had headband upgraded to premium leather headband) (bring in $300ish between the two)
2) Buy RS2e, Grace M9xx (cost ~$1000)
3) ??? with the isolating portable solution ???? Still totally lost here

I can probably go any direction here, up to spending $1000 net (i.e. $1000 plus any gear I'd sell off)

I know that's a lot, and who knows what responses I get (if any), but just looking for anybody to talk through this system and where you'd go with it, given those parameters.  Thanks!!!

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Is an on-ear an option? I really like and recommend the noontec ZORO II HD because of its even sound signature, isolation, ease of being driven by anything, and the fact that is looks pretty stylish and is easily portable.

You can read Tyll's review here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-well-balanced-noontec-zoro-ii-hd

This is an on-ear headphone. I am typically very sensitive to on-ear headphones ( i.e. cannot wear Grados ) but I find the noontec very comfortable. I even use mine for gaming because it comes with a mic in-line with the cable. You may look elsewhere because of the price / styling, but I was stunned at how awesome they sound and have impressed many vendors at head-fi meets with the sound quality.

They are even from bass to treble with a slight roll off in the treble after 2kHz making them very easy on the ears. The bass extends almost perfectly flat down to 20 Hz and the square wave responses both at 30 Hz and 300 Hz are excellent for a headphone found under $100 new. Now the isolation is not awesome, but it does give enough attenuation to work noises, computer noises, and general surrounding ambiance.

Check them out sometime.

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 7
  Is an on-ear an option? I really like and recommend the noontec ZORO II HD because of its even sound signature, isolation, ease of being driven by anything, and the fact that is looks pretty stylish and is easily portable.

You can read Tyll's review here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-well-balanced-noontec-zoro-ii-hd

This is an on-ear headphone. I am typically very sensitive to on-ear headphones ( i.e. cannot wear Grados ) but I find the noontec very comfortable. I even use mine for gaming because it comes with a mic in-line with the cable. You may look elsewhere because of the price / styling, but I was stunned at how awesome they sound and have impressed many vendors at head-fi meets with the sound quality.

They are even from bass to treble with a slight roll off in the treble after 2kHz making them very easy on the ears. The bass extends almost perfectly flat down to 20 Hz and the square wave responses both at 30 Hz and 300 Hz are excellent for a headphone found under $100 new. Now the isolation is not awesome, but it does give enough attenuation to work noises, computer noises, and general surrounding ambiance.

Check them out sometime.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have the AudioTechnica ESW9 right now for my closed portable on ear solution.  You think these would provide an upgrade there?

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 7
It has been way too long since I have heard the ESW9, but looking back at the measurements I would say yes. Not a big jump, but an improvement.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 7
  It has been way too long since I have heard the ESW9, but looking back at the measurements I would say yes. Not a big jump, but an improvement.

great, thanks.  I'll keep an eye out for them.  Any thoughts on the other aspects?

If I had to rank my priorities:

1) Keeping my system such that everything works with everything, ie all my headphones benefit from any amps I own, and all can be plaid straight from my iPhone when needed
2) find a max isolation solution for flying, working at a coffeehouse, etc
3) Finding an endgame home listener that benefits from an amp, but doesn't REQUIRE one to be engaging
4) upgrading portable solution
5) upgrading my "at work" solution
6) upgrading my "running/workout" solution

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 7
To update I went with the Grace M9XX. Based on things Massdrop has said I expect it right around Christmas. I then went with the HE400i, as it was one of the headphones I considered as an end game (for me) home listener and then they dropped the price $200 and I couldn't pass that up. I'm not a huge soundstage width person, so it's weaknesses is an area I can easily deal with and its signature is definitely what I'm after.

So, I think this solves my home system setup. M9XX + HE400i with the SR225e and Audio Technica AD700 for change ups.

The HD650 is being sold to a friend who I sold my O2/ODAC combo to a while back. She's going to end up getting the O2/ODAC/HD650 for $300 total, lol. That's a borderline end game combo a few years ago.

I'm more than happy with the Audioengine D1 and SRH840 at work. Going to stay with that pair.

Portable wise I'm pretty happy with the ESW9 + KSC75 pairing. Maybe I could do better here, but these two do me pretty well.

Still trying to figure out the max isolation portable situation. Maybe a pair of JVC marshmallows (used to have them and remembered thinking they were bearable) and just call it a day.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, also just went in on the THX00. you know what they say about this place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back