Help me with some cell phone proprietary earbuds!
Sep 12, 2016 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

vapman

Member of the Trade: bhobuds.com
I recently grabbed a few of these Sony Ericcson buds for cheap. I remember them sounding strangely good and I want to put them against today's earbud champs.

The have mic and remotes, are in a j-hook style, and after hearing so many legendary reviews of these buds over the years, well, I have to give them a shot.

Only this is I don't plan on buying a Sony Erricson phone to enjoy them.

My plan was to match with pinouts for the phone on pinouts.ru but they did not have the model I was looking for, and the closest one had a differen pin arrangement. I found this by proviing pin 9 was not ground with a digital multimeter.

I got them cracked open but in traditional Sony style, it's not clear which is ground and wich is signal. To make matters worse, the left/right ones always the same color on either bud, and neither color shows any exposed copper.

I cracked open the case around the mic/remote unit and found S+ and S- go to one earbud, while SR and Ground go to the other earbud. This does not make a lot of sense and makes me thing signals are getting routed on that PCB.

AT this point I almost want to take my replacement cable and just hope I do it right. with the solder points on the drivers themselves. If I
absolutely can't find which is ground and which is signal, is there any harm to wiring up one of the two buds and hope it works?

I was worried about a 180 degree phase warp but I don't find that to be too concerning if both buds are usin the same phase.

Here is a bad photo I posted in another thread. If anyone thinks close ups or shots of the remote unit would help, i would be happy to oblige.

Also, first preson to help me out here gets a free set of HTM-62's :wink:

I will be happy to provide mic/remote PCB pics if requested! Again, anyone who helps me gets a free set :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back