Help me with my KEF Coda 7 tweeter!
Jul 18, 2007 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Funk-O-Meter

100+ Head-Fier
Got some off Ebay. I like them. Good deal. Nice midrange, good highs, respectable lows. Nice and small. Thing is they have some issues. The guy I bought them from was totally slack. Took him almost 2 weeks to ship to me and when they arrived the cabinets were loose and rattled when low notes played and there was some distortion coming from the tweeters. Not loud, but when I stand close to them I can hear it. It's kind of a fizzy sound real low. And I'm scared to leave him negative feedback cause he's do the same for me. What a crock!

Best I could guess was that the voice coils were rubbing on the magnets. I got inside and reseated one tweeter assembly on the housing and it cleared it right up. Gone! Hurray! I did the same for the next one and the voice coil actually fell right out in my hand. I made sure the coil slot was clean of any debris and inspected the voice coil for rubbed spots. I saw one little spot where there might have been some rubbing but it wasn't that big. I'm not even sure it was rubbed. I carefully reseated it in the magnet housing and put it back in the cabinet and I still hear some quiet distorting.

What else could this be besides the coil rubbing? I was able to get the other one to clear right up. I can re-glue the cabinets to get rid of the rattling but I have to clear this "fizzing" up. I'm gonna get back into it tonight and try reseating the coil using the paper trick to make sure it's arranged right. It does have tabs to fit it in along the sides so I don't know if I'm gonna be able to do anything else.

HELP!

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 2
Are you sure the tweeters aren't damaged by having been played too loud? You also shouldn't have to "re-glue" (?!) cabinets.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back