Help me with my IE8s!
Feb 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I've got problem with my IE8s. Since yesterday, the left phone sounds noticably quieter. I thought it was dirt only - I tried cleaning it with the cleaning tool but it's still the same. Is there any way to remove this silver mesh and clean it inside? Or is it some any kind of problem and I've got to send it back to Sennheiser?

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you sure the jack is fully in the jack socket on the player?

Haha, yes, I am. I've also tried it on 3 sources.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fakcior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try this: Cleaning In Ear Headphones - Headphones - abi>>forums
Have you tried cable swapping?

I haven't really tried cable swapping. Well, if the cable is damaged, I'll have to send it back anyways. I'll try the H2O2, thanks!

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 14
What happens with mine, especially if I wear them when hiking and I get a bit sweaty, is there is a white residue that builds up on the contact pins where the cable connects to the IE8 body. I notice when this happens the output may become lower on one side, so I remove the cable from the body, blow out any residue, reconnect and disconnect then reconnect the cable to clean the contacts and everything is back to normal.

See if that works for ya...

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 14
I cleaned the connectors with compressed air. Also tried swapping cable, the problem still exists.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 14
My IE8's are noticably quieter in the left earphone than the right earphone too. I was going to send them back, but I wasn't sure if this was how they were supposed to be, until I saw this thread. lol. I'm positive mine aren't fake either, because I bought from an authorized dealer.

Does anyone have any info on cable swapping? I did a search on the forums, but it didn't come back with any info...? I searched thread titles for "Cable swap" and "Cable swapping."

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 14
That happens to mine quite often. My left ear bud goes quite. I just take the cable off and reconnect it, and sounds comes right back. Still not sure if its a cable issue or connector issue on the bud. I plan to email Senn Support before buying a another cables

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddkyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That happens to mine quite often. My left ear bud goes quite. I just take the cable off and reconnect it, and sounds comes right back. Still not sure if its a cable issue or connector issue on the bud. I plan to email Senn Support before buying a another cables

When you say you take the cable off, do you mean you disconnected it from the jack, or you disconnect the cable from the left earphone itself?

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PANGES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say you take the cable off, do you mean you disconnected it from the jack, or you disconnect the cable from the left earphone itself?

Disconnecting it from the earphone obviously. Anyways, I'll try to clean it tomorrow and if it doesn't work - I'll send it back.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disconnecting it from the earphone obviously. Anyways, I'll try to clean it tomorrow and if it doesn't work - I'll send it back.

Hmm. I see. Let us know how that goes. I'll probably end up sending mine back as well if messing with the connection doesn't help.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddkyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

huh... I just took my cable off and re-plugged it in and the sound got louder... that's weird...

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 14
I've had the same problem - the right channel lost almost all volume.  I left the end with the metal grill soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) for a few mins, then in cooled boiled water to rinse for a few mins and they sound much better.  I'm actually leaving then in H202 tonight to allow any wax inside to thoroughly dissolve.  The Hydrogen Peroxide I'm using only cost £1 from the local chemist - it's only 9% concentrated but seems to be doing the job - not sure what the optimum concentrate is for this purpose and where you might obtain anything stronger?  I made a bridge from cardboard and poked two holes in the for the earphone nossles to ensure that none of the main earphone got submerged.

I would imagine that it's pretty much inevitable that this kind of earphone will get clogged up with wax over time reducing volume/clarity so I imagine this treatment is worth a try for rejuvinating earphones generally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back