Help me with my amp / dac setup
Aug 11, 2017 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

audiopadawan

Head-Fier
Hello, I have a schiit magni 1, but I have no dac, it is okay to pair it with a mod 2?

I'm considering getting hifiman 500 or 400s, possibly hd 700s, will this setup suffice? thanks

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 8
Yes you can pair it with a modi 2 fine and yes it will work with those cans great. If you wanted to upgrade your magni 1 you could sell it and buy a magni 2, while you were at it, but it is not 100 percent necessary.

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 8
That might just have to do with the sound signature you want also. Those are three different sounding headphones. I have two of the three.

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 8
That might just have to do with the sound signature you want also. Those are three different sounding headphones. I have two of the three.
That is true. The setup is quite capable of driving those 3 as well as most headphones, the sound signature might not be to your liking on all headphones. The modi and magni are fairly neutral sounding.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 8
THe hd650, 400i, monolith m1060, emu teak might be a better option than what you were looking at then

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 8
These will all work well with the magni. The s and i do sound differend and build quality is different. The i is less expensive now but was not when the i came out. The i was the budget version. i dont really care for z reviews but he does have sound damples of headphones. Listening with the same pait of headphones, earbudes, or iems you can get somewhat an idea of the difference.

The 400s are going to be less detailed and more laid back than the 400i. Bass and is not as accurate and deep and highs roll off more. Not as airy and not as much seperation. It focuses more on the mids like the hd650 and you might prefer it. Give the two audio samples a listen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back