Help me with a new setup . . .
Oct 31, 2004 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
It's me again, asking for help. Long story short, I sold my RS1 mainly cause the sound hurts my ears, the right one is still healing. (I love the sound in itself though)

I'm thinking of joining team sennheiser, to see what all the fuss is about. Say hypothetically I had $650 for an amp + phones (+ cable). I'm thinking along the lines of a HD600/650. My source is a NAD c542. I realize both are probably overkill, but this will, over time, be a growing setup. it's not a perm. thing.

I need advice on some combos (used prices), ie:

HD600 + $450 amp
HD600 + aft. cable + $300 amp
HD650 + $350 amp
Anything other combos of interest

Something along those lines. I'm being vauge, but try to bear with me. I have no bias towards tubes or SS, I like em both. I listen to mainly rock and female vocal, with some pop now and then. I need the setup to be somewhat versatile. Just throw some stuff out to give me an idea. I'm looking to maximize it as much as I can. Thanks

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Hi ken, would that setup be the best of the price though? I'm completely confused.

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 16
Haven't heard the 650's so I can't comment on those. Many have said that the 650s sound much better than the 600's do with its stock cable though. There's just no way I could go back to the stock 600 cable.

I used to own the xp-7 and found the combo I mentioned a nice one. Not sure if it's the best for the price but I've not heard as many different combinations as some here have. I'm sure some of the more experienced members will chime in.

Oct 31, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 16
I'd also go with the HD650, since it won't worry you with thoughts of headphones upgrades later on. (well, unless Senn comes out with a HD700)
However, I disagree with the Gilmore Lite. It's a great amp for the price, but IMO Gilmores simply don't have good synergy with Senns (some would disagree). I would say that a PPA would be more versatile in matching with the system with opamp rolling and such, and you shoudl be able to get a fairly good one used for $350.

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
I'd also go with the HD650, since it won't worry you with thoughts of headphones upgrades later on. (well, unless Senn comes out with a HD700)
However, I disagree with the Gilmore Lite. It's a great amp for the price, but IMO Gilmores simply don't have good synergy with Senns (some would disagree). I would say that a PPA would be more versatile in matching with the system with opamp rolling and such, and you shoudl be able to get a fairly good one used for $350.

Pfffttt, only if you don't like forward mids.

This review seems to speak highly of the combination: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84554

I think if you pmed gsferrari about it he'd speak highly of the combination, too.

I personally haven't tried the two together, so that's just my opinion from what I have read...

Knowing my tastes, I'd do everything within my power to Gradofy the HD650.

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Knowing my tastes, I'd do everything within my power to Gradofy the HD650.

Exactly. Which is, I think, not a good way to do source/amp matching. At that point you might as well as get an actual Grado (or some other more forward-sounding can)! I think pairing the Gilmore with the HD650 is something a person who ultimately doesn't enjoy the Senn sound would do, and because of that I cannot take it as a good recommendation for someone who is "thinking of joining team sennheiser, to see what all the fuss is about." Please don't be offended.
Oh, and IMO a PPA with AD8610 "Gradoify" Senns more than Gilmores do. Not sure if you've heard that combination.

Oct 31, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 16
I had the HD-650/Zu and the XP-7 amp, with an EMU1212 soundcard.

The Zu cable had a tremendous effect on the sound, I would highly recommend getting it, even at $200. I felt like the 650's sound was brought to its true potential with that cable.

You definitely need an amp. Even with an amp, the 650 sounded horribly boring with my Ipod.

Ultimately, although I understand why many people like the Sennheiser sound, I did not. I was always admiring the technical proficiency of the 650 on my 1212 setup, but not emotionally connecting with the music at all. I spent a day listening to my SR80, and while I realized the sound was inferior, I enjoyed my music again. The Sennheiser's drained the fun out of my music.

I can relate to your RS1 ear issues, I had to sell my SR325 because of the same problems. I also notice the issue (to a somewhat lesser but still noticeable effect) with my SR80 . I've ordered the 225 from Todd, I'm hoping I can work through that challenge, but I'm concerned and don't want to damage my hearing (I'm sure you can relate given your RS1 experience).

The Sennheisers are extremely comfortable, combined with the laid back sound they should cause you 0 ear issues.

My thought is that if you hear the 650 and don't like the signature sound, don't spend a lot of time trying to make it something it's not. I personally wasted too much time trying to make an excellent technical headphone sound musical and fun, when it just wasn't going to be that way for me.

Oct 31, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 16
crap, I still have no idea. I don't really want to gradofy anything, I used to have the dt880s so. Any other recommendations?

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I'd go for a HD650 + Gilmore Lite.

I'd save up for a Zu Mobius.

I'll second this recommendation, I have all 3 and they sound excellent together.

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 16
That combo is a little out of my budget.
tongue.gif
I just want the sound to be signature of the senn, without straying much. I've nrver tried one, so I want to give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back