Help me upgrade?
Apr 15, 2006 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Trippytiger

1000+ Head-Fier
Although I do love my SR60's, I think it's time to upgrade! The only problem is that I really have no idea what I should be looking at getting.

I think my SR60's sound absolutely fantastic for rock (obviously), and I'd say that I like the Grado sound, buuuut... they just don't quite cut it for everything that I listen to. I like my metal, and I feel that these cans don't have the detail or separation that speed and thrash metal really require. The compressed soundstage also lets me down from time to time - there are just some types of music that need a wider one.

So, I think I'm looking for a set of headphones that are pretty aggressive, have a decent soundstage, good instrument separation, and punchy bass. Something that's really good for metal, and hopefully a decent all-'rounder. I'd like something that I could run right out of the headphone jack on my Denon RCD-M33 CD player, but I'd be open to getting an amp as long as doing so doesn't push the budget too far. On that note, I'd like to spend about $300 CAD (~$250 USD), but consider that budget flexible - and I don't want to go used.

The obvious answer is probably a better set of Grados or Alesandros - which would be fine - but I'd love to expand my horizons a bit, so I'd love to hear any suggestions at all. Thanks!

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 10
If your going to go ampless, then an upgrade to another Grado would be the logic choice. If you can get an MS-2i/325i for your money, then I would say go for it, but you are probably looking at used for your price!

If an amp comes into play, and obviously more money, then I would consider the Sony MDR-SA3000/5000, or AKG K601/701!
icon10.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 10
I'd say go with an SR225. The only thing it won't do on your list is have a big soundstage. With the extra $ you can pick up some kind of small amp.

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the replies so far.

I think I should be able to audition a pair of SR225's, so I'll definitely have to give them a try when I have the time and see if they're what I want.

I'm curious about the K601 and SA3K, though. I have a general idea of what the SA3K should sound like, but no idea how much one costs or where to buy from, nor what kind of amp would be suitable. And I don't really know anything about the K601. If someone give give me a bit more info on either of these cans, or point me to a thread or something so I could learn more, I'd appreciate it, because I'm definitely interested in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back