Help me upgrade from AKG K240 Studio headphones!
Oct 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mentlegen

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow gear heads,

I've had my AKG K240 for a year now and I think its time to upgrade! 

I was looking at the new Audio Technica ATH-M50x but want some more options.. 

Looking to spend no more than 250 because I also want to get either the FIiO X1 or X3 music player. 

I do want to commute with them but wouldn't mind them being the same size as my AKG, but a cable that isn't 3 meters long would be nice! 

Also looked at the Grado prestige but the earpads on the 60E and 80E seem very uncomfortable. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 16
If you are commuting, it seems like you will want closed headphones. 

People will be able to give better recommendations if you specify what kind of sound you are looking for as well as what you like or don't like about the K240. 

IMO I would not expect the M50x to be significantly better or worse than the K240, just different. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the reply! 

As for sound I'm looking for..well I'm not too sure. 

My AKG sound great but I've always felt something was missing but could never pinpoint what that 'something' is. 

They feel...sterile, like a room in a hospital ward. 

As for open vs. closed I don't mind either, looks matter somewhat. I love the Quincy Jones AKG! Just beautiful, but seem similar to mine.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Thought about it, I'd rather get some closed cans to get some variety, but I'm OPEN to anything 
wink_face.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeah, I owned the Q701 and it was a little sterile. Haven't heard the K240 though.

I own the Audio Technica AD900x right now. It is kind of like a Q701 with more excitement and naturalness. It's an open headphone. There is also the closed version, A900x, which is about the same price. Neither one needs an amp. 

I haven't heard these headphones I'm about to list, but they might give you starting place for looking up reviews. 

Anything Sennheiser, especially HD558, HD598, Momentum, HD25, and Amperior. 

Anything Phillips Fidelio, especially the X1 or X2. 

Sony MDR-R1 or MA900

I think all AKGs might be a little sterile, but the k550 is popular.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 16
I actually think the M50x would be a pretty noticeable upgrade to the K240 studio. The 240 is a mid centric headphone with the rolled off bass and treble, that something that is "missing" might be real bass and less peaky and more detailed treble at the sacrifice of some mids

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 16
  Yeah, I owned the Q701 and it was a little sterile. Haven't heard the K240 though.

I own the Audio Technica AD900x right now. It is kind of like a Q701 with more excitement and naturalness. It's an open headphone. There is also the closed version, A900x, which is about the same price. Neither one needs an amp. 

I haven't heard these headphones I'm about to list, but they might give you starting place for looking up reviews. 

Anything Sennheiser, especially HD558, HD598, Momentum, HD25, and Amperior. 

Anything Phillips Fidelio, especially the X1 or X2. 

Sony MDR-R1 or MA900

I think all AKGs might be a little sterile, but the k550 is popular.

Woah I love the look of the Amperior but I want a detachable cable, I looked at the Fidello X1 and they're gorgeous! 

The Sony MDR-R1 look pretty darn good too and plenty of good reviews.

The Fidello X1 are a little bit over my limit but if they sound good I just might get them, they'll have a really long cable though and I want a shorter one since I'll use them for some commuting. An aftermarket cable will have to be added to the price. Know any under 2 meters?

I was looking more for a closed back so I'll keep the M50x in mind as well as the MDR-R1 but I really like the Fidello. 

So many choices..

I actually think the M50x would be a pretty noticeable upgrade to the K240 studio. The 240 is a mid centric headphone with the rolled off bass and treble, that something that is "missing" might be real bass and less peaky and more detailed treble at the sacrifice of some mids

Yeah I always did want a little more bass out of my K240s but using an equalizer just muddled everything else.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 16
How do those compare to the M50x?

I'm more biased toward the M50x mainly because of the three cables it comes with, the 180 degree swivel, and the blue/copper color scheme. 

If you have any other closed back cans to suggest under lets say 300, please let me know!

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 16
I like the 1R more than the M50x, the Sonys come with several cables as well and I can't possibly imagine anyone thinking the M50 are better looking than the 1R which are just plain sexy.

There are lots of good headphones under $300, it'd probably be best to let us know what you don't like about the AkG and what music you listen to. Will these be used at home, on the go, or both?

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 16
I wish the AKG had more bass, and I didn't like how sterile they sounded as stated above. I did like the suspension headband but they're a little too big to be out and about with. Very comfortable for long periods of time.

They'll be used for both on the go and for home, 60% at home I'd say, I listen mostly to bands like Interpol, EOTO (which is dubstep I'm guessing), Blue Swede, Young the Giant, Arctic Monkeys, Weezer, and the like. 

Don't know my genres too well so I thought I'd name some of my favorite bands.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 16
I think V-Moda makes reasonably priced detachable cables that would work with the X1. V-Moda makes closed headphones you may want to consider as well. BTG Audio could probably also make you a cable for a decent price. You just need a mini to mini cable AFAIK. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #14 of 16
I wish the AKG had more bass, and I didn't like how sterile they sounded as stated above. I did like the suspension headband but they're a little too big to be out and about with. Very comfortable for long periods of time.

They'll be used for both on the go and for home, 60% at home I'd say, I listen mostly to bands like Interpol, EOTO (which is dubstep I'm guessing), Blue Swede, Young the Giant, Arctic Monkeys, Weezer, and the like. 

Don't know my genres too well so I thought I'd name some of my favorite bands.

OK then definitely Sony 1R IMO

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 16
I just found the MrSpeakers Mad Dog and I'm in love.

The look of an open back headphone with the sound of a closed back. 

I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT. 

But how does it compare to the M50x and MDR-1R?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back