Help me understand balanced cables
Nov 5, 2018 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
I am still very new to most of this audio stuff. Thus far, I've been under the impression that a balanced cable needs to be a dual entry cable, ie Meze 99, Hifiman, etc.
This morning I came across a single ended cable on ebay. It's 2.5mm to 3.5mm trrs balanced. I have an Opus #1s that I'd like to take advantage of the balanced circuit, but always thought it would only work with my 58X and 99 Classics.
After some research, I did find some information regarding single channel balanced cables. The cable is inexpensive, so that's good, but I just want to make sure this is an actual, accurate thing before I buy and try. The last thing I want is to mess up any of my equipment.
2core-sh.jpg

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 10
The Opus #1 has a 2.5mm balanced TRRS output right? So you should be able to get a cable that goes 2.5mm balanced to your HD58x and another type of cable for the Meze 99 classic's. The cable needs 4 conductors, (L in phase, L out of phase, R in phase R out of phase, sometimes called L+ L- R+ R-). Anway that cable you have pictured has 3 conductors so is not balanced. It is shielded however. (edit- it would be balanced for a single channel, but not two channels L and R)
A single cable balanced system is like the Oppo PM-3 or Sennheiser HD598, which have TRRS connectors in the earpiece that accept 4 conductor cables.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 10
The Opus #1 has a 2.5mm balanced TRRS output right? So you should be able to get a cable that goes 2.5mm balanced to your HD58x and another type of cable for the Meze 99 classic's. The cable needs 4 conductors, (L in phase, L out of phase, R in phase R out of phase, sometimes called L+ L- R+ R-). Anway that cable you have pictured has 3 conductors so is not balanced. It is shielded however. (edit- it would be balanced for a single channel, but not two channels L and R)
A single cable balanced system is like the Oppo PM-3 or Sennheiser HD598, which have TRRS connectors in the earpiece that accept 4 conductor cables.
Yes, I already have balanced cables for those cans. The picture I provided isn't the cable I'm looking at. The cable I'm looking at states it has 4 conductors, L L- R R. I just didn't think it was possible with a single ended cable

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 10
Even though the cable is balanced, has 4 conductors, when you put the tips on the end you will most likely be destroying the balanced connection, undoing the balanced nature of it if you will. Like if you hook up a 3.5mm TRS you will double up a set of conductors for ground and no longer have a balanced connection. There are only a couple of headphones that can be driven balanced by 1 non-split cable like Oppo and Sennheiser listed above.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Even though the cable is balanced, has 4 conductors, when you put the tips on the end you will most likely be destroying the balanced connection, undoing the balanced nature of it if you will. Like if you hook up a 3.5mm TRS you will double up a set of conductors for ground and no longer have a balanced connection. There are only a couple of headphones that can be driven balanced by 1 non-split cable like Oppo and Sennheiser listed above.
Do you know off hand which headphones those are? I'll post a link to the cable in a bit. Maybe you can tell me your thoughts

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Had a bad experience trialing a **** 2.5mm balanced cable for my DX150 with amp 6. I checked and it definitely was balanced TRRS, but only outputted sound when partially inserted into the jack and only to the right IEM. When fully inserted - no sound :frowning2: I had to return it in the end and it's a shame because it was a lovely soft braided cable.

Can anyone shine a light on why I had these issues?

Cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back