Help me turn my Mac into my Hi Fi
Feb 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

silvine67

New Head-Fier
I've started to get into high end audio and I have a few questions.

My computer is my main source of listening to music for various reasons. I have a set of AudioEngine A2s connected with Cambridge 100 Symphony cable.  I use the Bit Perfect app for iTunes. I've also just bought an Audio Engine D1 DAC. I've imported lots of 320 kpbs mp3s and apple lossless files. To be honest I can't hear much of a difference after the bit rate goes beyond 320kpbs.

Is there anything else I can do to improve audio quality? 

What are the optimal audio settings in the Audio Midi Setup App? I've it set to 96khz and 32 bit 2 ch float.

Will my set up benefit from an upgrade to the A5s? (The room I listen to music in is a small one and I normally listen at low volume to avoid waking others in the house)

What's the best way to set up the various volume controls on my DAC, speakers and computer?

Thanks for the help.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Optimal settings for the dac are the native sampling rate of the music, if the track is 44khz then set the dac at 44khz.

Upgrading the speakers is the best way to get better sound quality, there are way better alternatives to the audio engines the audio engines are horribly over priced, you could get a passive set-up to small bookshelf speakers and a small t-amp or stay with actives.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 11
I like active speakers as they reduce the clutter on my desk. Any recommendations for an alternative to the AudioEngine speakers? I don't really need any more volume tbh.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Unfortunately the A3X costs nearly EUR500 to buy in Ireland which is far more than the A5.

Does anyone know of a good Europe based online store to buy the A3X or is their a similar, cheaper active speaker with a relatively small profile?

What about the Cakewalk MA-15DS? 

http://www.xmusic.ie/Cakewalk-MA-15D-Stereo-Pair-Digital-Micro-Monitor-in-Blue-p-23006.html

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 11
there are way better alternatives to the audio engines the audio engines are horribly over priced

This is overstating it. For their size and price, the A2's are very good, particularly for lower volume listening. I admit I haven't heard the ADAM's. As for the A5's, which I also have, be aware that they are much more bassy and the low volume channel matching is not as good (at least on my pair).

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 11
OP: I will say that as much as I enjoy the A5 at home for movies and casual music listening, they aren't meant for nearfield use. That's why I put them in the living room.
Sorry I can't really recommend you new nearfields to replace the A2, but hopefully this helps narrow the choices somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back