Help me tune my rig! HD595 now and wanting a little more bass punch...
Dec 16, 2006 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
My current setup is

320 kbps cbr AAC or ALAC --> 2nd gen. 8GB Ipod Nano --> Alo bling bling dock --> Little Dot Micro+ --> HD595

I listen mostly to rock & pop & similar: Keane-Radiohead-Pink Floyd-Aerosmith-Coldplay-Shins-Nirvana-Smiths-Pearl Jam-Queen-Springsteen-Lou Reed-Bryan Adams-Dire Straits-etc...

I quite like my setup at the moment but sometimes i feel the HD595 on some tracks lacks a bit of punch in the bass department, especially in kick drums.

I will get in a few days (monday or tuesday) a ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock and a RSA "M" Hornet

Do you think the new IC and the new amp (The Hornet is supposedly punchier in the bass than the LDM+) will give me that little extra bass punch & oomph I'm seeking or should I consider buying a new pair of cans?

If this is the case what cans would you recommend? I would like a can with a sound signature similar to the 595 only a bit punchier/fatter in the bass (keep in mind I like contolled and tight bass response, i hate boominess or loose bass)

Would the HD600 be a good choice? Or should I go for the 650? (I'm afraid I might find the 650 a little too bassy for my taste)

Thanks for any reply, guys.

Dec 16, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 16
Try giving it a slight EQ in the bass. You won't die.

Dec 16, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 16
I've never personally heard the LDM+, but otherwise I have similar system and I feel the amp is the most likely culprit. One other more minor observation is that you're using a silver interconnect and in my experience silver tends to tighten bass and ever so slightly brighten the sound in comparison with copper. I can't say if making changes to the amp and interconnect will provide enough bass for you but I'd certainly expect an amp that can provide more current and that new thick wire copper interconnect will give the bass more kick than you are getting now.

Since you're getting the new interconnect and Hornet anyway, you'll know soon enough if you're happy with the bass response.

Dec 16, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current setup is

320 kbps cbr AAC or ALAC --> 2nd gen. 8GB Ipod Nano --> Alo bling bling dock --> Little Dot Micro+ --> HD595

I listen mostly to rock & pop & similar: Keane-Radiohead-Pink Floyd-Aerosmith-Coldplay-Shins-Nirvana-Smiths-Pearl Jam-Queen-Springsteen-Lou Reed-Bryan Adams-Dire Straits-etc...

I quite like my setup at the moment but sometimes i feel the HD595 on some tracks lacks a bit of punch in the bass department, especially in kick drums.

I will get in a few days (monday or tuesday) a ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock and a RSA "M" Hornet

Do you think the new IC and the new amp (The Hornet is supposedly punchier in the bass than the LDM+) will give me that little extra bass punch & oomph I'm seeking or should I consider buying a new pair of cans?

If this is the case what cans would you recommend? I would like a can with a sound signature similar to the 595 only a bit punchier/fatter in the bass (keep in mind I like contolled and tight bass response, i hate boominess or loose bass)

Would the HD600 be a good choice? Or should I go for the 650? (I'm afraid I might find the 650 a little too bassy for my taste)

Thanks for any reply, guys.

650 no question.

Dec 16, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try giving it a slight EQ in the bass. You won't die.

Unfortunately with iPods there is no slight bass boost, all the presets tend to make it sound boomy and there is no manual EQ.

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 16
I think mirumu has something. Try copper interconnects instead. If it's still not enough bass, then you're going to have to evaluate either the ipod or the little dot. I'm not familiar with either, but I've heard the LDM is good for the HD580, but I guess it can be too bright for the HD595. Try getting a tube amp if the ICs don't help you.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650 no question.

x2

I was in a similar situation as you are with the 555's. Almost stepped up to the 595, but after reading other opinions on the similarity of the 555 vs 595, I figured the bass increase wouldn't be siginificant enough. The 650 filled the void perfectly for me.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I was in a similar situation as you are with the 555's. Almost stepped up to the 595, but after reading other opinions on the similarity of the 555 vs 595, I figured the bass increase wouldn't be siginificant enough. The 650 filled the void perfectly for me.

I see from your sig that you have quite a number of bass heavy cans... PX100 K26P K81DJ... And you like the HD650..

K26P is unlistenable to my ears, too much bass, K81DJ is listenable to my ears only after burn-in, foam removal, and blu-tack mod, but still a tad too bass heavy, PX100 feels a little bass heavy and muddy to my ears too...

So that's why I think HD650 could be a little too bass heavy for me...

I'll see how the sound gets with the new amp and IC... Surely the large copper wire will add more warmth to the sound, and the Hornet is well known for its punchiness in the bass... I really hope this new setup fixes everything because I really like the overall presentation of the HD595... I just want that little extra kick in the bass...

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 16
IMHO, the HD-595 and HD-650 are very different signatures. I don't even count the HD-595s as a signature Senn sound. I like the presentation of the HD-595s, I own a pair of the 120 ohm version and love them, but they're very, very different from the HD-650. The 650s have much more bass, but I don't really see it as being too much. But the 650s are not nearly as much fun or as involving as the 595s. However, they are nice, oh so nice and sweet.
It's just another level of listening. Get some, try them, see for yourself.

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 16
IMO neither the 600 or the 650 offer the same signature as the 595 even aside from bass levels. They both have more bass with, IMO, the 600 being slightly bassier than what I would consider neutral and the 650 is bass heavy to my ears. They both have more bass impact which is one thing I thought was lacking on the 595. Aside from that they both have their virtues... they're both more detailed IME than the 595, the 600 has a more refined sound than the 595 and the 650 is very smooth/liquid sounding.

On the other hand, IME the 6x0 impose their signature on the music a bit more than the 595 does. Everything takes on a little the refinement/silky smoothness that just doesn't work for me with some music (Black Flag, Joy Division, Bauhaus, etc. I don't think were ever accused of being refined).

Ant

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see from your sig that you have quite a number of bass heavy cans... PX100 K26P K81DJ... And you like the HD650..

K26P is unlistenable to my ears, too much bass, K81DJ is listenable to my ears only after burn-in, foam removal, and blu-tack mod, but still a tad too bass heavy, PX100 feels a little bass heavy and muddy to my ears too...

So that's why I think HD650 could be a little too bass heavy for me...

Let's not assume that just because a can is in my sig that I think it's off the hook (we all know what happens when you assume). The main purpose is so that others who may have questions about those cans are free to ask me.

Your opinion of the K26P and K81DJ are nearly spot on with my own...maybe the 650s are worth a try. I don't find the bass bloated or uncontrolled at all.

Good luck getting bass out of the 595s. Other than placebo, I doubt new IC's will do much for you....but worth a try perhaps if you'd like to keep them around.

Dec 18, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 16
you could try a resistance mod, i think headroom sells the er-4s to 4p resistance dongle for like $40 or something like that. supposedly the higher resistance coupled with a good amp can improve the sound of the hd595. i dont know for sure tho.

other than that, on your ipod instead of equalizing to turn bass up, why not turn treble down?

if the hornet and new IC still doesnt do it for you, headrooms portable amps feature crossfade which gives a nice warmth to the sound and creates a small but noticeable bass boost. i love the sound of the 595 with the micro desktop module (old version). perhaps you should try out some of there offerings.

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 16
Here is my solution to the bass dilemma:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...37#post2598637

biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 16
I had the same dellema with my 595s, and I stepped up to the 650s. They are almost fully burned in (lol, I've only had them for 20 days, and I never leave them running), and they fit me perfectly, It has alot of bass, but doesnt overkill it. Bass always comes out clear and clean. Would deffinatly go with the 650s if you are looking for a more natural bass response.

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately with iPods there is no slight bass boost, all the presets tend to make it sound boomy and there is no manual EQ.

ROCKBOX
600smile.gif
Even though I've had problems switching to and from the original firmware, the customization is hard to resist; especially the fully manual EQ. Of course, the HD 650 might just be what you're looking for if you need bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back