Help me troubleshoot my reciever!
Jul 30, 2005 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright,
I have a Kenwood surround amp. It's big, it's heavy, and it's rated for 4 ohms. I have a pair of Mirage SM-1 speakers on the front and a pair of old JVC speakers on the rear, no sub or center. I'm driving it from the tape out on my other reciever, which I use for headphones.
When I press the power button, it turns on. When I start the music, it clicks and turns off. If I try to turn it back on, it turns off by itself. If I whack it a couple of times, the area of the transformer works best, then turn it on, it works fine.
Any ideas on why my amp needs corporal punishment to turn on?

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Your probably overloading it. Try one pair of speakers at a time and see what happens.

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 6
I guess there's just bad blood between Kenwood and Mirage. With two BIC Venturi Formula 2 speakers hooked up, the reciever is fine. Both the BIC and the Mirage are 8 ohms. I'm confused but I like these BIC speakers better anyway. There's no low end rattle like the Mirage, probably because there are surrounds on the woofers unlike the Mirage.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 6
If it happened while the receiver was playing, it might just be overheating, but it sounds to me like the power supply in the reciever might be dying.

See ya
Steve

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 6
The mystery deepens. The BIC speakers work fine, unless I turn the volume past 45/80. 45 is about normal listening level on
20 - is it on? Doesn't sound like it.
30 - They sound like my SR-60s do when the SR-60s are at a normal volume 3 feet away from me.
35 - late at night with parents sleeping
40 - quiet
45 - normal
50 - loud for a little, then amp turns off
55 - really loud for a little, then amp turns off

I did notice some weird things about the power supply. Directly plugged into the wall, it turned on right away with the volume at 45. Plugged into a surge protector, it turned on after one try and one hit. With a 19" monitor plugged into the same surge protector, it took at least 3 tries and a decent beating. However, once it goes on, it can turn off and on easily as long as it's only off for a short amount of time.

However, my power outlet real estate is pretty limited. I think I will try plugging it into a 3 way splitter than into the outlet with no surge protector. If there is a surge, well, there's my excuse for a new amp that turns on without violence. This reciever only cost me $20 and if it dies right now, it's been worth it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back