Help me troubleshoot my M3 amp
Dec 23, 2009 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

David.M

500+ Head-Fier
hello headfi.org

Just got my Little Dot MKIII yesterday and it sounds fantastic with my Beyer Dt880 250 ohm cans, but I'm having some slight technical difficulties that i hope can be resolved.

I noticed that when i first powered the amp, there was some small interference/static noise coming from the left side (sometimes right) of my headphones. It's some-what intermittent and comes and goes regardless of turning up/down the volume knob.

What can be the problem? I checked all the wires and don't have any staticy electronics nearby. I swapped the tubes around and the static kinda decreased, but it's still there time to time. I even went to the living room and played it on my i-pod and that small static noise was still noticeable

Also, there is that bassy/blowing/humming kind of noise when i turn the knob to full volume. Is this normal?

Is there anything that can be done to fix my problems? thanks

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Better rename your thread. I came here thinking of the AMB M³.

As for your problem, tube amps need warm up time. Does it go away after 30mins? 1 hour? Maybe LD uses crappy tubes? There are so many variables.
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 7
again, I'm terrible at multi-quoting because i tried a million times and i have yet to figure this out, so...... it's back to good ole '@'

@glitch 39: Musiland Monitor 01 US(via USB) is my DAC and only source. This thing has its own built in OP-AMP 275, can that be what's causing the distortion? But i doubt it because I've unplugged the rca cables, took it to my living room and played it on my i-pod and i still get the noise.

@ Momijitmo: I would rename it if i could, apparently I'm hypothetically dumbfounded and thought there was no way to edit your thread title without a moderator's help

the static becomes a bit less and there's virtually little or no sign of it after 30 min when playing music, but like i said, it's intermittent and i do notice the distortion from time to time.

I have been reading that i need to purchase something called 'Deoxit' or some contact cleanser or something to clean the tube pins. Will this work? and will it also get rid of that noise when i turn the knob to max volume?

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better rename your thread. I came here thinking of the AMB M³.

Likewise - I'd call it a bait and switch.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

... was going to suggest posting it in the DIY section, where AMB would see it right away, but that won't help this ...

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Dec 23, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Momijitmo: I would rename it if i could, apparently I'm hypothetically dumbfounded and thought there was no way to edit your thread title without a moderator's help

Can't you edit the original post with the go advanced button to change the thread title? It just worked for me in a different thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back