Help me troubleshoot my computer-as-scource
Mar 5, 2005 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension l667r with an Audigy. Yes, I know Chaintech is better. Can't complain about something I got free, besides, most of what I listen to is internet radio at 128kbps.

So this Dell is running Windows XP Pro. The only software installed: kx project drivers, Winamp (internet radio), and foobar (music off the hard drive).

Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes when I hit play, it will play for a few seconds, then there is a constant high pitched beep and the whole system hangs, fixable only by flicking the surge strip.

More recently, it's done the same thing, except only lasting for 2-10 seconds at a time. It works fine afterwards, but does it a lot.

Anyone else have a similar problem or know of a solution?

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 10
I've moved this to the correct forums
smily_headphones1.gif

As an aside, your torrent problem... unless we're talking legally obtained then its frowned upon here to talk about [illegal] filesharing, but I will add that there were measures put in place by the likes of the RIAA etc a couple of years ago where they deliberately put corrupted tracks into the networks to try and disuade illegal downloaders.

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 10
Correct forum? Where did I originally put it?

I'm all legal, this is my friend we're talking about. He asks me questions relating to audio.

Funny thing is, the problem has disappeared. I haven't had it happen at all today. One of those funny intermittent problems that is never there when you need it to be, and always there when you don't want it to be. This thread probably scared the problems off for now.

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi Taylor,

No problem
smily_headphones1.gif

You put your post in the dedicated sources forum, rather than the computers as sources forum, again though, no problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully your other question will be answered soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 10
So flicking the surge protector solves the problem? At least temporarily I guess... Have you ever reinstalled the normal Creative drivers? I would do the usual reinstall, and maybe move the card to the last PCI slot.

Mar 6, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yes, it is just weird how creative sound cards seem to no like the PCI slot closest to the AGP.

Might have something to do with IRQ sharing as the first PCI slot often shares IRQ with AGP (depending on motherboard).

Mar 7, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, there isn't an AGP card. I never used the Creative drivers because I don't have them, got the card with no software or manuals.

Surprisingly, the problem seems have to disappeared. It's pretty erratic. One day it's fine, the next, can't do anything.
confused.gif

Why don't I ever get normal computer problems?

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
Why don't I ever get normal computer problems?

You bought a Dell. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
You bought a Dell. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
biggrin.gif

Whoa - who said anything about buying a Dell? After several "experiences" with them, I refuse to buy ANYTHING they make. I got this PC free, some people were buying a new Dell and didn't want their old one, with good reason, since the original hard drive was beyond messed up. I wish you could take screenshots during Windows installations, it's really funny to see "Formatting 82032MB Partition (NTFS) on 7365MB Disk 0"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back