Help me to pick min to mini interconnect.
Mar 9, 2006 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Peyotero

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to replace my interconnect that came stock with the PA2V2 amp.
I never heared anything better but at this point anything will be better then the one i have as its redicilously crapalisious
eek.gif

I'm not sure i belive in cable voodoo, well, simply becouse i never heared a good cable.

Now, i'm aware to RnB180's, HiGHFLYiN9 and Moon-Audio cables but those are refference cables an wee bit to pricey for me so there's no need to point them out, i know how much you love to mention RnB's Black Dimonds
tongue.gif

The main use for it will be D-33 line out > PA2v2 > Portapro's and maybe a DAP with decent line out in the future.

The vintage Sony D-33 is a new discovery for me. This is how music should sound like fo' fecks sakes!!! It's amazing. I won't start reviewing in here but it's very detailed/clean and the sound is very rich and natural. It sounds better then my (even though) crappy one live 24bit sound card, where one would think PCDP's shouldn't sound better the a pc soundcard
confused.gif

Anyway to the point, that's ^ the little rig and the interconnect is the weak link in the chain. Now if you are familiar with this setup (probably) then you know all of the three components has rather "warm" sound charecteristics...

Which cable would compliment the rig, silver or cooper? *Squize more detail with silver or stick to the warm (if i got it right) cooper?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 23
Honestly, I think you should consider upgrading the phones before you spend any considerable amount on cable, let alone worry about the cable material.

If you do want to anyway, RnB also has the Skyblue cable, which runs for much less than the Diamond Reference. The little Cardas you get from Headroom for example also gets a lot of positive voices around here.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 23
Frankly, i think the "upgrade your headphone/amp/source" comments are irrelevant:
1. That little rig is 90% complete with the missing 10% being an interconnect.
2. I'm happy with my portapro's. They are all i need ATM.
3. 1 and 2 are true.
wink.gif

I'l consider the Skyblue but the Cardas cable is one ugly MOFO
tongue.gif
(the rig will be portable when i'll find a DAP that suits my tastes).

P.S
I'd like to see some comments on silver/cooper issue to pweeeze.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 23
try either Blue dragon ( if on budget) or RNb Black Diamond Mini- Mini IC . Both of these are very good ICs

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Considering your current setup I would not spend more then a few bucks on a mini cable... the Cardas mini from Headroom at $15 should be more then enough.

And this is from a DIY cable maker. Go with the Cardas HPI from TR Audio. Free shipping within the US.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by etys rule
And this is from a DIY cable maker. Go with the Cardas HPI from TR Audio. Free shipping within the US.

That I am but there is no need to spend money where you wont get a large improvement. He has a very nice budget rig... I would put the money towards a source/amp/headphone upgrade before cables... cables are to me the last little tweek to a system... and many lower-fi systems are not even sensative enough to be able to discern cables.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Considering your current setup I would not spend more then a few bucks on a mini cable... the Cardas mini from Headroom at $15 should be more then enough.

I second that..or was it third?

I wouldnt waster another dollar for anything "higher" on portable with with that amp and those cans...(no offense to the amp and cans..there is nothing wrong with them..just saying why put anymore money into it when the total rig price is here)

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 23
Congrats on the D-33... great sounding player, isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif
My only complaint is that the highs can be slightly grainy, but that's listening with HD580s and other higher end cans.

I think the Cardas mini-mini is a good one, and not too pricey.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 23
Becouse i'm done. There's nothing that i wish for from head-fi at the moment except to complete this lil entry rig. Sonicaly i'm *satisfied with only one thing buggin' me, the inteconnect. It makes scratching noises when i move it and somehow i have a feeling that getting something half decent will improve my rig not only performence wise but also sonicaly.

See, i'm saving money for a trip. Hence i don't want to spend crazy cash on a cable. I do realise that my rig will get many upgrades and replacements in the future couse i'm allready hooked but i want the cable to be a perament investament, yet not to excpencive as i'm still rather sceptic.. Agh am i asking to much?
rolleyes.gif

Meh, maybe you are right that i should go with the cardas cable. It's just it's so damn ugly
tongue.gif
+ i don't want to order from a commercial company when i can order from a head-fire..

Anywayz, thanks fo the input guys. I'll think about it
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: aye fewtch! vintage players have the power to take you back in time
biggrin.gif
they don't make them like that anymore
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 23
Can also PM Turbo, he also makes a very nice mini to mini...I just purchased one to replace the Cardas HPI mini to mini that I just bought and didn't really like to much...maybe just me but I noticed a sound difference between the 2, Turbo's sounds allot cleaner IMHO

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Can also PM Turbo, he also makes a very nice mini to mini...I just purchased one to replace the Cardas HPI mini to mini that I just bought and didn't really like to much...maybe just me but I noticed a sound difference between the 2, Turbo's sounds allot cleaner IMHO

You mean it sounds a lot neon greener
icon10.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero
EDIT: aye fewtch! vintage players have the power to take you back in time
biggrin.gif
they don't make them like that anymore
wink.gif

Agreed... if I get rid of all my vintage PCDPs, the D-33 would be the only one to stick around. Good sound for peanut$, what more can you ask.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

You mean it sounds a lot neon greener
icon10.gif

ROFLMAO...It's not easy being green...It's almost more of a Dayglo green, I love it. It sticks out in my bag, no more fishing around a dark bag looking for a interconnect cable
icon10.gif
Plus if I go on a walk at night, I will be easily spotted by passing cars and not get run over :Þ

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Agreed... if I get rid of all my vintage PCDPs, the D-33 would be the only one to stick around. Good sound for peanut$, what more can you ask.

I am thinking about getting the D-33....as I recently posted I bought the D-36I knew I fell in love to quick
frown.gif
Something happened and I dunno what. It was playing beautiful then it devolped static, I thought was my headphones...so I threw on my sen's same, static in the sound. I went through the line out, and got the same result. I changed the interconnect from the cardas and to my rat shack.. I am mystified as it worked great for about a week...

**Edit**
Well I decided to try it again, its been sitting 2 days...right now with the same cd's sounds fine :-/
**Edit 2**
I just tried to play the MOfi pink floyd darkside of the moon and MOfi John Lennon and it does not like these discs at all, maybe thats what the problem is...Is the D-33 picky with MOfi's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back