Help me to identify and resolve this weird noise out of DAC/AMP
Apr 17, 2017 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mib91

Head-Fier
Although, recorded and uploaded to youtube by someone I don't know but my ELE D02 dac/combo makes this type of very loud sound even when no media plays in computer. The noise doesn't go on for more than 5-10 seconds(thank God!) but it generates in nearly full volume regardless of OS/Player's volume level.

Here is a demo link of the noise  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMvwFGDEslY

I had the USB AB cable changed couple months ago and it did a tremendous job in suppressing the noise. The noise popped up way less frequently and even if it did, the loudness was at tolerable volume. This improvement lead me to believe, the noise was related to cable quality and shielding. 

But for past few days, the noise is back again just the way before I made the cable upgrade. I checked both on my workplace and home computer and the noise is in there.

What could be the culprit?  

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like interference to me.  Have you got your phone sitting next to it or something?

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 8

Occasionally. Perhaps I can answer it better if you could tell me the minimal distance between them that could possibly initiate an interference?

Just put your phone near it like usual and call and/or text yourself from a different phone and see what happens.  

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 8

I never saw the noise begin with phone operations you mentioned.

Btw, the dac/amp usually sits closely(less than a foot) behind either a monitor or notebook.  

I'd try to do some empirical testing to see if you can trigger it on purpose.  Maybe it's your notebook wifi trying to scan for connections, who knows.  Could also be your cable routing if upgrading the cable seemed to help.  Try moving the DAC/Amp away from other electronics and try to make sure your cable isn't running next to other cables.  

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 8

I'd try to do some empirical testing to see if you can trigger it on purpose.  Maybe it's your notebook wifi trying to scan for connections, who knows.  Could also be your cable routing if upgrading the cable seemed to help.  Try moving the DAC/Amp away from other electronics and try to make sure your cable isn't running next to other cables.  

Thanks. I'll try to do those. Not sure if it'd be of any help but the cable routing was actually same before and after upgrading the cable. Notebook's wifi is always turned off.

Any other suggestion meanwhile? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back