Help me to compare / decide between AKG K375, K518 or K618
Nov 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cmpessoa

New Head-Fier
As this is my first post, I would like to address a big hug to all members of this wonderful forum. I found it while searching for info about headphones in order to decide what to get as an upgrade and have since been around reading the best info on this subject and discovering a great community.

Now, could you help me on this:

I am presently trying a set of AKG K375 earphones. I have 10 days left to return them if I don't like them.

I already own a set of Creative earphones that I think are the EP-630 model. (I cannot find its box to confirm). They sound Ok but nothing special though they are the best phones I ever owned :)
So, looking for an upgrade, I decided to try the AKG K375. But I would like to know if AKG K518 or K618 sound better than K375. (I also had the opportunity to try K511 but I felt their sound quality is inferior). So I'm asking to anyone that own / knows these headphones to share his opinion.

Relatively to the Creative EP-630, AKG K375 sounds much better. They have more precise and powerfull bass and also sub bass that I cannot feel on the 630's where the bass is also powerful but a little muddy. Mids and highs are also much better on the K375. In all, they sound more precise and clear but what I like most is the pleasure that I feel listening through them that I simply do not feel when listening through the EP-630's.
I like almost every genre of music and K375 seams to handle them all quite well. I can enjoy powerful sounds (and sub bass!) while listening to EDM, Trance, Dubstep or Epic Metal and then I can feel all the beauty of the sound of a piano, an acoustic guitar, violins, a great voice,... If I try to do this on the EP-630s: no powerful sounds, pianos, guitars and voices get "thin",... The pleasure simply isn't there anymore.

Now I wonder: Could K518 or K618 sound even better? looking to their technical specs I would say no, but as they are on-ear instead of in-ear does it make them sound better? Are they even more precise, clear? Have they a better soundstage? Have they even better bass / sub bass?
To my taste, bass and sub bass on the K375 are at the right level. I do not need more but I wouldn't like to have less either. Middles and highs could improve. Sure I understand that, if I go up to a K550 or so, it will probably sound much better but that would be out of my budget.

The reason why I´m not interested in other models / brands at this point is that when I listen through K375 I feel that AKG has the sound signature that I like most. I also own a Senneiser HD201 and they are so "neutral" that I do not feel anything when listening through them :)

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 2
Anyone?

I would also like to have an idea of what difference could I expect from a Sennheiser HD 439 (clarity, definition, soundstage, bass / sub bass..) as I can buy it for €50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back