Help me spend my money! Starter recommendations
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

torifile

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently revamping my audio gear to move from a soundbar 5.1 system to something better.

My room is fairly small - something like 15' x 13' or so.

My plan is to provide audio to both tv/movie/gaming and music. I've got a Debut Carbon turntable, AppleTV 4th gen, PS4 and Nintendo Switch. I'm not too concerned about the audio experience for video since I've got a projector and 10' screen in the basement. But it needs to be passable.

I've recently picked up some KEF Q100 speakers and I'm going to decide between a pair of HD660s and 650. I also have a Lyr 2 en route.

I have an A/V receiver (Yamaha 7810 - the Costco model number for the 781). This can be returned if needed.

I would like to get the best possible sound within reason. I'm not against getting rid of any or all of my current gear to make it happen, but I'd prefer to work with what I've got.

I am thoroughly confused about pre-out/pre-amps/amps so I'm not sure how to put everything together. Audio sources will include my turntable and streaming music (right now, that's Apple Music and Spotifty but down the road I can see myself going FLAC so I want to build for that now).

Any thoughts? Budget? Depending on what I get rid of/return around $1k. Any thoughts? Portability for my DAC/amp is NOT necessary.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 11
What are you looking to spend 1k on specifically?

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 11
I’m thinking my needs are in amplification. My source situation is passable for now and I think my speaker/headphone setup is good enough, too. The weakness is in the middle.

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 11
Your HPs are going to be HD650 or HD660? Youre wanting an amp for those,or for speakers+headphones?

I havent heard the HD660,but I own the HD6xx which is the same thing as HD650.They really come to life with an OTL amp such as the Bottlehead Crack and La Figaro 339.

Another option if youre looking for an amp for both speakers and headphones is picking up a nice vintage receiver,which can drive both speakers and HPs very well.

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 11
I’m planning on keeping the AVR for the speakers and using the amp for headphones only. I am wondering if there’s a better AVR for my needs or if I should just get an integrated amp rather than an AVR.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Are you planning on running a surround sound speaker config,or are you keeping it stereo?

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 11
I would look into getting a nice vintage receiver. ditch the modern BPC that you currently own and find something from the big players of the pre-1980s era.
The only caveat to vintage gear is you need to live fairly close to someone who knows how to work on these vintage monsters.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 11
I would look into getting a nice vintage receiver. ditch the modern BPC that you currently own and find something from the big players of the pre-1980s era.
The only caveat to vintage gear is you need to live fairly close to someone who knows how to work on these vintage monsters.
The most important thing aside from sound quality is ease of use. If it complicates tv watching for my kids or my wife, it’s a no-go. They have zero tolerance for fiddling with things. :/

Would vintage be ok with the modern stuff I need to hook to it? I’m using my tv inputs with ARC to keep the complications to a minimum.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Negative.No ARC.No HDMI.If you need that then stay modern.

Modern gear prioritizes bells and whistles above and beyond musicality.Further modern gear uses cheap,crappy HP amps in their gear.Vintage gear used a resisitor in line off of the main speaker amps to drive headphones,making them excellent HP amps in addition to driving speakers.

Depending upon what other gear you own,and assuming that they have RCA analog outputs you can run up to three-four(usually) different sources into vintage gear.

We have a super secret club here on Head-fi of members that use vintage gear to drive headphones.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners.537704/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back