Help me spend my hard earned
Oct 6, 2001 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
cash, not literally by the way

I'm stumped.

I can get a Cyrus 7 amp to replace my Marantz KI Signature amp
(assuming I like it on audition but lets assume I do like it for now!)

or

Import a Nintendo Gamecube from america the same way EVERYONE (three of em lol)are doing at work....

or

upgrade the monitor from 15" to 17 or 19"

and finally

upgrade the pc from a pIII 733 to something like an Athlone 1.2 gig.....

So lets have your votes

Oct 6, 2001 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 18
I got a 19" Hansol 900P monitor 3 years ago for $300 shipped and it is an amazing monitor at that price. Crystal clear, good refresh, non fatiguing, durable, true colors (not falsely colorful like optiquest monitors). It made such a huge difference in my enjoyment of the internet and doing homework.

Oct 6, 2001 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 18
11/15/01
Forget Nintendo, MS X-Box rolls out in USA, looks very impressive!
Only 20 or so games will be ready at release, mostly sports titles.
Graphic performance specs are mind boggling vs PS2, have to see how well game designers can translate that power into the games.

Might as well face it, computers need to be replaced every 2-3 years unless you do not need advanced graphic capabilities.
If X-Box lives up to hype though many die hard computer gamers
will be happy with X-Box, and slowly migrate over.

Oct 6, 2001 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 18
Um, looking at a 15" monitor is like... having sony street styles and nothing else.

UPGRADE IT!!!!

My recommendation are iiyama monitors, or Sonys (they are expensive though... and go for 19"!).

Oct 6, 2001 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 18
gotta agree with dark angel and say forget about the gamecube. I voted for the monitor
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 18
X-Box, pfft! Whatever, it takes more than impressive hardware coughPS2cough to make a successful console. Gamecube has all the games I want, and anything I might actually want to play on X-Box, I'll just use my PC. Yeah, you have to upgrade your PC, but sooner or later you'd have to buy another version of X-Box as well.

That said, I'd still go for the monitor, though you gotta buy a 19'' monitor to make it worthwhile. As chych said, Sony and Iiyama make good monitors.

Oct 6, 2001 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 18
David, won't the Cyrus cost a lot more then the other 3? I mean you probably can get a 1.2G with a 19 inch monitor for the price of the cyrus 7. I would forget about the gamecube, not worth the import price, wait until it's release here. Not worth the hassle, tax, delivery.....

Computer get's out of date faster then you can say Bugs bunny, however, a good monitor is vital. So I would definitely start with that, get a shadow mask one for true colour, a 19ich should be about £300 ish I think

And how come the cyrus amp is £800? I thought it's £700, the CD7 is £800. Unless it gone up in the last month.

Oct 7, 2001 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 18
Raymond I was using that figure as a ballpark number!

Hmm I got offered a 17" Logix monitor the other day for £110 any good?

Not touching X-box. Machine looks good, games dont as far as I can see.

As for PS2............................................... ...

Oct 7, 2001 at 8:11 AM Post #11 of 18
Beh! I upgraded to a 21" Sony GDM-F500 once, and wound up selling it. Big monitors are over-rated.

One thing I would like to have, though.. Is one of those real nice 17" LCD panels.. I saw a NEC one in CC for $800.. Completely blew away every CRT in the store. They all looked dull, boring, and lifeless, with poor resolution compared.

Oct 7, 2001 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 18
I haven't voted for anything...

I have a Cyrus III and a Marantz PM66seKI amp, and... I cannot justify spending all of that cash for what amounts to not a lot of difference...

Monitor, probably the best of a bad bunch to upgrade... 17 ~ 19" is definetly better than 15"... just follow Raymondlins guide...

Processor... I'm sceptical about this one... I upgraded from an AMD K6III-450 to an Athlon 900... and, YES there is a difference... but not THAT much of a difference in speed of applications etc

and... Consoles... don't like them, never have, and probably never will... Red Faction on PC kicks ass over Red Faction on PS2 for example...............

Oct 7, 2001 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 18
Yeah, 21" monitors are overkill. 19" monitors are juuuust right. If you have the cash, I'd definitely get an LCD. Don't forget than a 17" LCD is the actual size of an 18.5" monitor, because LCD makers don't fudge their measurements.

Oct 7, 2001 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 18
Listen to Jon.

Cathode Ray Tubes SUCK!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dont waste your dough on a tube, just because its bigger. Get a nice LCD panel and you'll get way more satisfaction. Just make sure you get one of the good ones.. Not those nasty cheapies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back