Help me spend my $60 on headphones!
Aug 15, 2005 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

biiscit

New Head-Fier
I'm a headphone amateur of course. I currently use Senn MX500 which sound beautiful. But I want some more comfortable headphones, not earbuds for home use. I'd be using it with an iPod and Home Computer. Now, I like my earbuds to be as precise as possible. I dislike heavy bass greatly. For example, the Shure E2 and the PortaPros were returned promptly. I like my music to be neutral, and very precise. However, looks aren't a very big factor. Sure, I'd like for them to be stylish, but sound comes first. And thus, the only choise I have so far is the Grado SR60. Are there any other phones that match my requirements?

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 27
The Sen HD280-Pro sounds like a good option for you.

I find them to be fairly neutral, have good bass, but are a little bass-lean. Plus, they have the added benfit of being really isolating, so you can listen without being disturbed, or disturbing others. The grados will bother everyone around you.

BPRJam

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by biiscit
The HD280 are $100 at Headroom... too much for me.

Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet. Given your price point, I can't think of a better introduction than the SR-60. To me, a no-brainer. Then again, I've been accused of having no brain on occasion...
eek.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 27
take a look in the fs section, I've seen used 280s go for about $60. And don't worry, "used" at head-fi isn't really used. It's "gently enjoyed with great care".

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 27
I actually use koss ksc-75s with my computer. They're light and maneuverable. And they're $20. You can get a cheap cmoy or mint too if ya want. But . . both the ksc and grado aren't really considered neutral by the majority, they have a forwardish somewhat colored sound signature.

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 27
Go with the SR-60s.
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 27
Sony V6's are relatively analytical and neutral (to a fault, according to some. I like 'em). They are around your price point new (high $60's on froogle), and less used or ebay.

EDIT: Sorry, remembered that heavy bass is a turn-off for you. These are bassy cans. Yep, SR60 might be tough to beat.

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by biiscit
The HD280 are $100 at Headroom... too much for me.

Wow. I don't remember spending that much on mine. I seem to recall around $60 from Amazon. Unfortunately, they don't carry them anymore.

I guess that just goes to show you how much of a sickness this hobby is.

I second the SR-60 recommendation - just know that they are very, very open. (meaning they leak sound big time!)

BPRJam

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 27
Another vote for Senn PX100's, I think around $40 from J&R. Simply amazing sound, comfort and portability. I can't imagine better sounding cans for an iPod at this price and you don't have to fiddle with an amp. I love these little cans and the iPod EQ set to JAZZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back