Help me spend EUR 400 (Headphones, DAC/AMP)
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

AndrewNL

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I have a fairly good portable setup with a iBasso dx90 and Westone W30 which really work well for me. I have an Onkyo DP-X1A on order, so that I can start making the most of Tidal, which is awesome for musical discovery and should be a step up from my Samsung S7. I also have the Sennheiser HD 25-II which I will probably sell - again, I really enjoy these for portable, but I prefer my Westone W30s (which are also more comfy for longer listening session). I use ATH-AD700s for gaming.

Anyway, I want to get a better home set up and have a budget of around EUR 400 this year. I plan (at least for now) to use the DP-X1A as my source (assuming it meets expectations). So my question is how could I get best bang for my 400 bucks (Euro bucks that is, just under USD 500)? A set of easy to drive headphones, or go for a combo: headphones + DAC/AMP. I don't mind decent secondhand.

My musical taste is really broad, and I listen to a lot of World Music (African mainly), Rap/Hip hop, AOR, Jazz and live music (think, Bob Dylan and Neil Young). I love a detailed sound and wide soundstage, and some moderate bass. Arguably I haven't really see what good gear is capable of so that's why I wanted to pick your brains.

What types of set-up would you suggest or advise I check out?

Thanks all!

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back