Help me spend 5.000 Euro !
Nov 11, 2004 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

joeri

New Head-Fier
I won a prize in the lottery, 5.000 euro's ! ( thats 6.500 dollars ! ) And im spending it on headphones. I want the very best sound available. What headphone and portable amp do you guys suggest ? I want to use it on my ipod... I allready have a senn HD25-1, so it has to be a lot better then that !
orphsmile.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 33
What are your sonic preferences? What sort of music do you enjoy? Have your heard electrostatic headphones? If so, what did you think?

If you answer these questions, members would be able to make some recommendations. Certainly that is a considerable budget, but without the above questions answered, we could only guess.

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 33
obligatory recommendation for the sensaphonic 2X-S.

congrats on that man. very cool stuff.

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 33
It looks like you won 5.0 Euros. As in just 5 Euros. I was thinking maybe you could get some dollar store buds with that

I'm assuming you mean five thousand. Maybe 5,000 would be better. Or 5000.
confused.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 33
Yes, Stax manufactures portable electrostatics. I also have a feeling that he may be interested in a semi-portable (luggable) system. Perhaps even a portable and home system. We'll have to wait for more details.

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 33
Spending that kind on money on portable rig is a complete and absolute waste of money IMHO. Cord noise, footstep noise, and an average source (iPod) mean to me it's not worth your while. Get some of the high end canal phones (sensaphonics or ulimate ears) if you must, and maybe a small portable amp, but you should come in around the 1000 euro range.

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 33
It is my feeling that the (sonically) best, "portable" source he could get would be the IHP-120/140 and use an AOS DAC. Better still (imho) would be the IHP-120/140 with the AOS Flute integrated DAC and AMP. It is a superior DAC/AMP. I typically DIY my stuff, and even I will be be purchasing one.

As far as output apparatus, that depends on how he defines portable. Portable to some means an ipod, and a set of earbuds. To others, that means an iPod, LaRocco Pocket Reference / RS SR-71 and a set of UE-10s. To others, that means an IHP-140, portable DAC, PPA w/ battery pack, and a set of W2002. Still, to others <cough> Kevin <cough> that could mean Omega IIs.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 33
Commando:

He has made considerable progress with his DACs. He has models rivaling the DAC1. It it my opinion the DAC1 wrecks the AV-710 and 1212M. That and the 1212M and AV-710 certainly are not portable, nevermind luggable.

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
Commando:

He has made considerable progress with his DACs. He has models rivaling the DAC1. It it my opinion the DAC1 wrecks the AV-710 and 1212M. That and the 1212M and AV-710 certainly are not portable, nevermind luggable.

Ok, let me say then that my one bites. Maybe I should send it back for him to make it sound better? Right now it's just a warm expensive lump of silicon.

Edit - mine's about 6 months old.

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
an average source (iPod) mean to me it's not worth your while. Get some of the high end canal phones (sensaphonics or ulimate ears) if you must, and maybe a small portable amp, but you should come in around the 1000 euro range.

Measured performance is very good. John Atkinson(Stereophile) finds performance to better most component CD players.

Quote:

The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD players—ironic, considering that most of the time it will be used to play MP3 and AAC files, which will not immediately benefit from such good performance. But if you're willing to trade off maximum playing time against the ability to play uncompressed AIFF or WAV files, the iPod will do an excellent job of decoding them. Excellent, cost-effective audio engineering from an unexpected source.—John Atkinson

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom...34/index5.html

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back