Help me spend $1k
Jan 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bobsmith

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have been lurking around for a while and thought it was finally time to ask for some help. I have a budget around $1,000 (though it could probably be stretched a little upward), for both headphones and an amp. I am really a headphone newbie. I previously had a Bose QC2 that broke (that I got as a gift). They sounded ok to my currently untrained ears, but didn't have anything to compare them to, so I didn't know any better. I am now looking for the best audiophile phones/amp combo I can get for the money.

My music preferences are very varied, including rock, classical, jazz, swing, you name it. My source would currently be a Auzentech X-Prelude sound card. I know that sound cards + internal DACs are generally considered a bad thing, but I think this one has some fairly good quality output components. I might try to do an external DAC some time in the future, but unfortunately not at this stage.

A few other random facts. Build quality is fairly important to me, as I am hoping these will last me a long time (I can't justify spending these sums on something that will snap in a year or two). I like the idea of tube amps, but I have never heard one so that it is a pretty uninformed opinion. I like the wood/leather look a bit more than the techy look in headphones, but not a big deal either way.

Here is what I have thought about so far, along with what my impressions are based on my research (could be wrong though):

1) Sennheiser HD650 + Woo6. This seems like a pretty standard safe combo that a fair number of people use. Not thrilled about the whole plastic thing of the HD650, but people seem to suggest the build quality is reasonable.

2) Beyer DT880 + Amp around $600. These seem to be in the same general league as the HD650 but with a different sound. For no particular reason, I have leaned more towards the HD650 than this one, but that may be just because the HD650 seems a bit more popular. I have not yet researched what amp would be good with this, but I imagine something could be found in the $600 price range.

3) Denon AH-D5000 + Woo3+. I really like the look of the D5000, though I am a bit concerned about the build quality. Also, the idea of the uncontrolled bass described in some threads/reviews does not appeal. On the other hand, I have seen a number of people claim it is far better than the HD650s. For this sort of money, I think I would be too scared to do any mods such as the markl mod. Also, I really do not like the idea of the lettering rubbing off over time (stupid I know).

4) Denon AH-D7000 + some cheaper amp. Would probably put me a bit over budget but doable (assuming I could actually find one in stock at real street prices). Largely same concerns as the D5000 (except for the lettering!), as I understand the build quality is similar. I am not sure what kind of amp would mate well with the D7000, or if any exist in the < $450 bracket that I would be in.

5) Audio Technica ATH-W5000 + an even cheaper amp. Again, I love the look of the whole leather/wood thing, and the various reviews seem to suggest the build quality is good. There seems to be some question about the sound quality in lower ranges. I get the impression this is more suited for classical (which I listen to, among others), than other genres. Again, no clue what amp would be a good match.

Any thoughts on the above? Is there anything I should be considering that I am missing? Are any of my assumptions wrong? With respect to the more expensive phones (the D7000 and W5000) I might be able to stretch the budget up to $1200 if a better amp was required.

I understand that with something as subjective as this there will never be any sort of consensus. However, I am interested what you guys would do to get the best bang out of $1000. Thanks in advance!

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm currently supper happy with my Little Dot MK VI + balanced HD650. You can get the LD MKVI @ 800$ and an used HD650 @250$, which fit perfectly with your budget.
The HD650's will show all their potential when get balanced.

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 16
from what's been said, get a D5000 instead of a D7000 if you're going in that direction. there's been some comparisons, and apparently there is very, very little difference between the two. if somebody knows what I'm talking about, please post it

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 16
I spent $1K recently, I bought a gilmore lite and Grado Rs-1 combo. Judging by your musical preferences im sure this combo would be satisfactory.

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 16
Get a Koss ESP-950 and spend the rest of the 1K on a decent to good DAC. I think that would be the best bang for buck option given the genres you listed, and later, all you would have to do is upgrade the amp and find someone to make you a Koss to Stax adapter.

Edit: Later meaning if you decide to upgrade.

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't drop that much money without doing some listening first.

Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere, and there appear to be no shops or meets around where I could listen to any decent headphones. I also am taking care of a very new baby, so traveling in the short term is basically not an option. Indeed, the purpose of the headphones is to give me some peace and relaxation the few times that the baby is not crying
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 16
If you're willing to keep using the computer as the main source the Asus Xonar Essence STX seems to be unbeatable as far as price/performance is concerned. You get a very good dac and headphone amp combo for around 200$ so you can spend more on the headphones.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheManko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're willing to keep using the computer as the main source the Asus Xonar Essence STX seems to be unbeatable as far as price/performance is concerned. You get a very good dac and headphone amp combo for around 200$ so you can spend more on the headphones.

What have you compared the Essense to?

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 16
I don't have the Essence since it hasn't been released where I live yet, but in the thread in the Computer Audio section people are raving about it and one poster says that it's clearly better than his Corda Blue and almost as good as his Corda Opera. Overall it is according to posters in the thread clearly better than the Auzentech Prelude (which I am myself going to upgrade from) and even better than all the other Asus soundcards released so far and that's before you even use the headphone amp section of the card which appears to be the equivalent quality of what you get for around 600-700$.

When the card is released I'll happily post my impressions as well (they're claiming a January 17th release here in Sweden).

EDIT: Here are his (Alydons) exact words from page 7
Quote:

All-in-all, I’m still quite impressed by the STX’s amp. It's not as good as the Opera, but it comes surprisingly close, especially given that it's included on the card and the Opera (analog) sold for $700-$750 new about 4 months ago.

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks very much for the thoughts guys! So many choices....

Another thing I am considering is getting a D2000, then doing the markl mod and custom wood cups. I think I would be a lot less scared modding with ~250 headphones than with $500 ones. From the descriptions, it sounds like I would end up with something superior to the D5000s for about the same or less money. Choices choices...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back