Help me silence my computer!!
May 26, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus
i think the easiest way to silence a computer has been overlooked...
A CLOSET, and a couple extension cables (monitor/usb)

if you don't have a closet.. then.. goodbye wallet
evil_smiley.gif

Thats what I did. I used a 2.5" drill bit so I would have plenty of room to fit connectors through. Otherwise I would have had to modify the stock weird sony power supply. I can still hear it in there but it was a jet engine out here, and certainly the most effective "tweak" I've employed. It sucks to go put CD's or DVD's in, but its quite amazing what you can get done with a USB hub these days.
wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #17 of 44
very nice akwok
cool.gif
. we got the same case, but no side fans on mine and its black. I don't have the HDD rack, though, to make room for the heatercore.

May 26, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Number one trick to silence your case: get Nexus fans. Period.

After that, suspend you hard drives and you are set. Seasonic PSU's are the cherry on top.

Yep. Except for the suspension; suspension eliminates seek noise, but idle noise is still there (which is a big bitch for almost all hard drives, minus the 74gb Raptors!)

May 26, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 44
If you use your comp only for music playing and you got P4 (Northwood, ! check other models specs, ! not the newest (they're running hotter)) then you can safely use it without processor fan (can be on it's place) + 1 case fan.
Wery silent.

I've ran my P4 2.667 system now ~1.5 years without noisy processor fan --> no issues (I just connect the fan when mixing/recording needs all the processor power available to keep audio clear). Normally now, processor temp is around 30°C and I've never got it rise above 45°C (measured with PC-Probe bundled with ASUS board).

jiitee

May 26, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 44
Since I got my Grado SR-80s, I've noticed the noise from my PC more and more... Moving the PC in the closet idea isn't half bad. I basically did the same with the file server not that long ago (but I put it in the crawlspace below the office instead). My PC isn't all that loud as it already contains some silencing upgrades, but its not as quiet as I'd like.

I'm seriously tempted to get myself the following to move the CPU base unit to the nearby closet:
1) USB2 Hub
2) Firewire Hub
3) External DVD-RW enclosure (firewire or USB 2)
4) 2 good, longer video cables.

I already have a cordless USB mouse/keyboard.

The only thing I'd have to do to the closet is put a small exhaust fan in to blow the hot air down into the crawlspace.

May 26, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #24 of 44
Lots of good suggestions above, including the pull-the-plug thing...

The best, quickest and easiest single silencing technique I've found is a program called SpeedFan - intelligent fan speed control for your PC based on internal temperatures. No matter what degree of silent components you use, this program will take it a big step further. Absolutely check it out, it's freeware, but as the Disclaimer says, "SpeedFan can be extremely useful, but you should first watch its behavior before setting and forgetting it."

Very highly recommended for any PC, as long as your machine uses temperature sensors that SpeedFan recognizes (likely.)

May 26, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Forget the papst fans. Get some silenX fans - http://www.silenx.com/

NO. SilenX fans are -not- silent at all, noise is inconsistent amongst their fans. Nexus totally serves them.

May 26, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
NO. SilenX fans are -not- silent at all, noise is inconsistent amongst their fans. Nexus totally serves them.

Seconded.

I have nothing but Nexus in my computer, and it is whisper quiet. Go to SPCR and they will tell you the same thing. If you want the top for quiet, go Nexus and don't look back. Here is why: if you have a good ear, most fans will display a chattering or electical noise when they get quiet. Nexus fans are the quietest fans in terms of airflow AND motor noise. Panaflo and Papst cannot touch them (they are still outstanding fans, but they are more for reliable workhorse situations). Trust me, I learned the hard way and I swear by Nexus.

May 27, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
I have a lian li black pc65. There are 6 fans in the computer including the stock heatsink and fan of my p4. I just turned off five of them not including the cpu fan. After doing this, I could listen to my headphones at a lower volume with pleasure, where as before I had to listen loudly to counter the noise. It is now obvious that I need a new p4 heatsink and fan. I'm no overclocker and I just wan't silence. Also what are the quietest 80mm fans? Thanks.

Not long ago, I spent some time trying to silence my computer as well. What I will say is that case dampening is mostly a waste of time when you've got a couple of loud fans spinning. I tried all kinds of dampening and it barely made a difference. It's much more effective to try and slow down the fans so they're not making as much noise in the first place. Or, use quieter fans. But most fans make enough noise that they'd be far from silent anyway at max speed. You'll find lots of good stuff at Silent PC Review.

May 27, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #28 of 44
Closet is a good idea although it can get toasty in there; I have just a curtain and it still gets warm.

The Coolmax, Antec, and other PSU's that are fanless are good but mine (Coolmax CF-480) gets rather hot; I pulled it out of the case and it sits on another pc next to the audio rig.

The XP-90 is an AMD64 sink only; beware before buying. The SP-97 (no longer made) & SP-120 are Socket A sinks.

The Zalman Reserator is an option as well. It has a vga and cpu cooler. It's a solid watercooling unit for starters.

I think for the easiest solution you need money, and simply get a fanless PSU and a silent water cooler; then you have the HD noise which as mentioned above, would need to be silenced it you don't want to hear it. I don't find it that intrusive but you could maybe extend the life of your drives with some of the cooling/silencing devices.

DC

May 27, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro
Closet is a good idea although it can get toasty in there; I have just a curtain and it still gets warm.

The Coolmax, Antec, and other PSU's that are fanless are good but mine (Coolmax CF-480) gets rather hot; I pulled it out of the case and it sits on another pc next to the audio rig.

The XP-90 is an AMD64 sink only; beware before buying. The SP-97 (no longer made) & SP-120 are Socket A sinks.

The Zalman Reserator is an option as well. It has a vga and cpu cooler. It's a solid watercooling unit for starters.

I think for the easiest solution you need money, and simply get a fanless PSU and a silent water cooler; then you have the HD noise which as mentioned above, would need to be silenced it you don't want to hear it. I don't find it that intrusive but you could maybe extend the life of your drives with some of the cooling/silencing devices.

DC

The XP-90 is compatiable with all sockets, even LGA775 when the bracket is purchased (seperately).

May 28, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #30 of 44
The zalman fan controller worked great. No where near silent but a lot quieter. I can now listen to my headphones at a quieter volume. Thanks to all of you who chimed in.

I will put about $200 into silencing my rig as I see how much of a difference it can make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back