Help me select a headphone
Oct 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pepsee5

New Head-Fier
Any gud audiophile out there to help me choose a pair of premium headphone. I generally listen to EDM, hip hop , club music so bass is the thing which I cannot compromise , I really need gud punchy bass, I m thinking of getting a beats pro or ultrasone pro 900 , what u guys think please give me a honest review , I really want a genuine suggestion , please help..thanks in advance , I can spent upto 400 $ or 300£ .

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 11
The Ultrasone Pro 900 will be much better than the Beats Pro in every way. Beats get a lot of publicity, but you can have much better for the price. The Pro 900 is a good direction if you like bass-heavy genres. For EDM they are fantastic. Another great headphone is the Denon D2000. If you can still find it, or find a used pair.

If you want to save a few bucks and keep good bass, look at the Ultrasone HFI-580, or V-Moda Crossfade

Others will chime in with some other recommendations.  

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Hello
I need some help. I'm planning to get my first "real" headphones and I'm totally stuck and can't decide.
I listen a lot of alterative/indie/rock music and I will be using headphones mostly outside, on my way to work etc so I need something that is quite portable. I'd also prefer a little more bass. And also the look is pretty important for me.
After lots of reading I got down to 3 models:
1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
2. Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
3. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

I'm also amazed by those http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-pro-300 but they're too expensive for a first buy for me. And they're not even out yet, so there are no reviews etc.

What do you guys think? What would be the best choice?

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 11
I really know very little about audio but it seems like the new V-MODA M-100 headphones are great for you. I have not tried them but you should see some reviews from the people that have already tried them out.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 11
if you need the punch then go with ultrasone pro 900s or you can just save a lot of money and settle for a 50$ pair of sony xb500 which would give you the same amount of punch and more bass, but it would be muddier...

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 11
thanks a lot but do beats pro really sound that bad , i really dont understand why people hate beats so much, if they r so bad why do they sale so much, what do think about sennheiser hd 600 and 650 , i really cannot try any of this headphones as i live in a remote part of india , i really depend upon you guys and ur valuable reviews , i really want that ''wow'' effect in my headphone.please help 

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 11
Most of the hate comes from the fact that the Beats are overpriced. Simply put, the quality of the headphones don't match the price they ask for. There are better sounding headphones for a lot cheaper. Do Beats sound "that bad"?  No. But why would you pay more for a headphone when you can get better headphones that are not as expensive? 

And even if you look at the headphones that are of the same price range as the beats, there are still better sounding headphones. So why would you settle for less? Beats would only make sense to a lot of people, if they were priced at a lower range.  

As far as why they sell so much, marketing. They are genius at marketing. And let' face it, most companies in the headphone market for many years, didn't care about having headphones that had a mass appeal. They designed and marketed cans to a niche audience, and Beats swooped in and presented headphones that are visually appealing to most people. This is coming from someone that once owned Beats way back in the day. 

Once I bought the ATH-M50's and heard how much better they sounded at more than half the price, I realized how lackluster the Beats truly were and never looked back. Just my 2 cents. 
Quote:
thanks a lot but do beats pro really sound that bad , i really dont understand why people hate beats so much, if they r so bad why do they sale so much, what do think about sennheiser hd 600 and 650 , i really cannot try any of this headphones as i live in a remote part of india , i really depend upon you guys and ur valuable reviews , i really want that ''wow'' effect in my headphone.please help 

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 11
thanks a lot but which headphone should i buy , i listen to a lot of edm, hip hop and club music so cant compromise on bass , what about sennheiser hd 598 and v-moda crossfade lp2 or m80, i want that blow away wow effect in it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 11
agugygy7.jpg

Here you go.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Any gud audiophile out there to help me choose a pair of premium headphone. I generally listen to EDM, hip hop , club music so bass is the thing which I cannot compromise , I really need gud punchy bass, I m thinking of getting a beats pro or ultrasone pro 900 , what u guys think please give me a honest review , I really want a genuine suggestion , please help..thanks in advance , I can spent upto 400 $ or 300£ .

Heya,

It will depend on your treble preference. Bass is an easy option. But how the treble is, with that bass, is going to define which headphone is right for you. The PRO900 for example has monstrous mid-bass, but has daggers and glass for treble. The M-Audio Q40 has the same level of bass, really, to my ears, as the PRO900 for significantly less cost, but without the edgy treble. Build quality similar, but comfort being significantly different, and the Ultrasones are more comfortable at least to me. Maybe look into the new Denon D600.

Ultimately, unless you're using these as portables, my hands down favorite headphone for bassy music, while having realistic mids and slightly sparkly treble is the Denon D5000.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back