Help me save a friend from beats!!
Oct 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #16 of 34

Quote:
Dude, somebody get this guy some HD 650.

And watch his unsuspecting tail-rump get blown away permanently. He'll be converted to head-fi.

They're around 330$ online.

HD650 is not a good introduction can IMO, considering the fact that they are open and require an amp, which the OP's friend doesn't have.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 34

Quote:

And watch his unsuspecting tail-rump get blown away permanently. He'll be converted to head-fi.

Read the original post ~ no amp, straight out of ipod.

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #18 of 34
I don't know if either of you have owned them.. I ran them out of my ipod every once in a while. They sounded just fine.

I read and contemplated the recommendation. People say they need an amp because they scale so well.

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

No because he's a pathetic basshead
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #20 of 34
I am assuming your friend does not want to get an amp because the amp would either be too expensive, or bulky. For the headphones, I would strongly recommend the AKG K702s, which can be found on Amazon for around $260. They look absolutely kickass, and have extremely high build quality. For about $90, he could up a Fiio E7, which he could use to boost the bass if he decides to. The E7 is close to the same size as my iPod Classic, and all you need is an extra cable running from the iPod to the E7...
I hope this helped.

P.S. If he wants Beats that badly, he could always get some Beats Pros. They were my first true cans (Bose QC15 does not count) and sounded good. For the money, there are so many better options out there...but, still, they aren't too bad.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #21 of 34
I love how so many people responded so quickly on this thread :D

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #23 of 34

Quote:
I am assuming your friend does not want to get an amp because the amp would either be too expensive, or bulky. For the headphones, I would strongly recommend the AKG K702s, which can be found on Amazon for around $260. They look absolutely kickass, and have extremely high build quality. For about $90, he could up a Fiio E7, which he could use to boost the bass if he decides to. The E7 is close to the same size as my iPod Classic, and all you need is an extra cable running from the iPod to the E7...
I hope this helped.
P.S. If he wants Beats that badly, he could always get some Beats Pros. They were my first true cans (Bose QC15 does not count) and sounded good. For the money, there are so many better options out there...but, still, they aren't too bad.

Read the OP more carefully. It's likely to be used on the go, with an iDevice. In no way the K702 would be a good idea. Also, it's unlikely the E7, as good as it may be, can adequately power the K702.

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
I don't know if either of you have owned them.. I ran them out of my ipod every once in a while. They sounded just fine.

I read and contemplated the recommendation. People say they need an amp because they scale so well.

Yeh and I've tried my K601's, HD600's and Pro 900's out of my iShuffle and the results were abysmal.

Yes, they play a faint, tinny sound ~ that's about it.

Ditti for the K702 ~ what's next? Hey just plug a pair of AKG K1000's in there, you'll blend just fine in
the crowd and they will sound great 
biggrin.gif

Far too many threads in the past if you look that show this path has been crossed many a time
~ A fresh enthusiast buys one of these phones, usually under the guidance of a savvy retailer,
plugs it into their MP3 player, is gutted to hear the sound and then logs on hear to vent some
steam that they have been scammed. Nobody wins, only the bloke who ends up buying them
second hand at 2/3 of the original price with a good vintage receiver in the attic.

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 34
I'll give a fist up for the AIAIAI TMA-1, they're my favorite phones of all time. Especially for the hiphop i listen to. 

They're simply awesome. They're clean and sleek looking, might not be as "swag" as the beats but they're great sounding, durable as hell and so worth their price. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #30 of 34
I have to agree with some of the comments about cans needing amps. It really does make a difference so make sure whatever he buys will work straight from a portable device unless he wants to buy an amp as well. The difference is surprisingly noticeable.

I tested some Shure SRH840s and Ultrasone HFI 680s the other day and thought for a moment that the SRH840s killed the Ultrasones, but once amped it was a different story - Sones came alive and it was a much tougher decision (which is still up in the air).

Just saying, this "amp vs no amp" stuff is very real. A portable player might make a loud enough sound come out of cans that require an amp, but that sound won't be anywhere near as good as adding an amp or changing to lower impedance cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back