Help me save a friend from beats!!
Oct 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

feteru

New Head-Fier
Head-Fi, I need some help! I was on the bus with a friend the other day, and he asked my about my E11 and what it was, and after I told him about how it makes it sound better, he mentioned he was going to get beats soon. I am obviously appalled, so he asks me what better headphones for $200-300 he could get. I am here because I need help on what headphones he should get. They will most likely be unamped, and they have to look at least decent. I was looking at the Denon D1100's for him, but I was wondering what else he could get. Remember, there is just about a 0% chance that he will want an amp. He listens to mainly rap and R&B, and I would assume likes large bas quantity.
tl;dr: Friend is buying beats, what is better straight out of iPod?
Thanks!

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 34
Oct 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 34
Hi Feteru,

I just wrote a review on the AKG Q460s. Definitely better than Beats, but not for all ears or all types of music. It's possibly also worth checking out the Beyer-Dynamic T50ps which I heard the other day, but they'd had no burn-in so I can't really comment on the oveall quality - impressive build and design though and the sound seemed quite nice out of the box despite a slightly subdued top-end.

Check out passionforsound.wordpress.com for my blog notes on the Q460s and also my $300 headphones "at a glance"

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 34
Ultrasone 580

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 34
Wow, Thank you guys so much! I will show these to him when I next see him, and hopefully he will like at least one of them, since every one of those is better than beats(like most things).
Thanks a lot, and I may just convert this guy into a head-fi'er! 

P.S: And now I've caught the upgrade bug looking at all these nice headphones 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 34
I wouldn't save a friend from Monster by suggesting some Ultrasone headphones. I've listened to the HF780 and thought it was horrible.

From what I know, I'd add to other suggestions :
- wait for the Philips Fidelio L1, which could be good, and isn't much bulkier (and has a remote).
- buy a pair of Audio Technica ES10, but they're quite above budget, even imported from Japan.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 34
No real point in recommending a headphone that no one has heard, especially yourself.

Never mind from one manufacturer that used to be known as the pinnacle of quality in the 1950's
but now is generally renowned for 'so so' quality and mass production above everything
else.

They could be good these Fidelios ~ they could also be complete trash. Watch this space.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 34
Dude, somebody get this guy some HD 650.

And watch his unsuspecting tail-rump get blown away permanently. He'll be converted to head-fi.

They're around 330$ online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back