Help Me Reterminate my Broken AD500s
Dec 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blue_lammer

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need some help with re-terminating my headphone jacks on my AD500s. I broke the wires inside the jack by pulling too hard sideways on my jack over a year or so. I cut the connector off and tried to look inside the jack but unfortuately it was sealed. I was hoping I could get some help on figuring out which wire goes to which part of the plug. Thanks!

3151303863_dbb9369062_o.jpg

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 6
I believe with AT AD500 should be like the AD900.

There will be 3 wires. White, Black and Red. Black is the grounding, which you solder onto the big part of the jack. There will be two terminals.

You will have to have this verified, but I believe the red goes on right and white goes on left.

Also when you solder on your new jack, its a good idea to make sure the wires are heated before soldering them on.

The picture you posted isn't very useful for soldering on your new jack btw.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 6
I hope someone can help you with the wiring question. Incidentally, how would you compare the SQ of the AD500 to the K701 when both are unamped?

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 6
AD500 sound great unamped. Most reviews I've read state that AD500s do not improve much with an amp.

Its not recommended to use K701 unamped.

Pretty simple huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope someone can help you with the wiring question. Incidentally, how would you compare the SQ of the AD500 to the K701 when both are unamped?

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD500 sound great unamped. Most reviews I've read state that AD500s do not improve much with an amp.

Its not recommended to use K701 unamped.

Pretty simple huh?

Thanks, but to your ears, is there a significant difference between the sounds of both phones when unamped? Is one phone louder, brighter, bassier, clearer, etc?

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 6
Hahah I thought this thread died out with my post. I made a mistake it's A500s and not AD500s =/

I haven't listened to the A500s in a long long time. I used to have a pair of AD700s though and in comparison the soundstage on the AKG 701s isn't as large but the seperation is a lot better. In general it really is a big leap in fidelity. They do need to be amped properly, soon I'm considering getting an upgrade to my tube amp with a solid state Shanling PH100. From what I read though I would get a AD700 over the AD500, for a small difference in price you get a far better pair of cans. I do find them (AD700) ugly however but you can't judge a book by its cover.

I think I may have found an answer to my wiring problem. The common standard is: red=right + white=left+ and then blue/greens=ground. I think I will just let the wires tough the connector and listen to make sure the channels are going to the right speakers. I will report back on that.

Any recommendations for plugs? I'm looking to reterminate them in a 1/4 plug. I saw the neutrik plugs were pretty popular. I was also looking at the switchcrafts but was unsure as to which one I should use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back