help me replace my SR80s pls...
Aug 24, 2007 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

andres

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Posts
15
Likes
5
I´ve been using the Grado SR80s for about 6 months already. I use them 8 hours a day, to listen music from my hp laptop (which has a really good sound card).

Things I like from these phones:
1. Good nice deep bass
2. Wide soundstage
3. very detailed mids and highs.

So basically soundwise, they are perefect for me. However, there is something really annoying about them: they are UNCOMFORTABLE. I can wear them for 1 maybe 2 hours, but anything beyond that is unbearable.

I listen to my music in a noise and very active work environment. With an open back design like the Grados, I hear ALL the background noise and cannot fully concentrate on the music, so i have to turn up the volume on my phones. And when I do this, my coworkers complain that they can hear my music.

I have issues with in ear monitors, so they are out of the question. Please do not even mention them as options.

My budget is strictly under $300.

Please help me...
 
Aug 24, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 33

judas391

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 19, 2007
Posts
602
Likes
0
"soundstage on sr80" ... that's a first
 
Aug 24, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 33

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Posts
2,055
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"soundstage on sr80" ... that's a first


I was shocked also ...
blink.gif

Imagine when he listen a K701 then ...
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 33

BrookR1

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2006
Posts
1,458
Likes
10
I would honestly look into a used pair of Ultrasones. The DT770s are just bass monsters...and the bass covers everything else up. The Ultrasones (at least the ones I own) have good highs and punchy bass.
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 33

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would honestly look into a used pair of Ultrasones. The DT770s are just bass monsters...and the bass covers everything else up. The Ultrasones (at least the ones I own) have good highs and punchy bass.


I first thought a modded Ultrasone Proline 650 would be the perfect fit for the OP. However, I then thought there's no way I'd want to wear a Proline 650 for 8 hours straight, let alone almost daily for that long. So I changed my mind and suggested the DT770. I suspect the OP's integrated sound card would have a hard time driving the DT770's bass to overpowering levels. No better closed cans for the OP's needs come to my mind.
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 33

BrookR1

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2006
Posts
1,458
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I first thought a modded Ultrasone Proline 650 would be the perfect fit for the OP. However, I then thought there's no way I'd want to wear a Proline 650 for 8 hours straight, let alone almost daily for that long. So I changed my mind and suggested the DT770. I suspect the OP's integrated sound card would have a hard time driving the DT770's bass to overpowering levels. No better closed cans for the OP's needs come to my mind.


I'm listening to my DT770s right now...even modded, they're nothing but boom boom cans. There's definitely less of a sonic jump from the SR-80s to the Ultrasones.
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 33

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to my DT770s right now...even modded, they're nothing but boom boom cans. There's definitely less of a sonic jump from the SR-80s to the Ultrasones.


BrookR1,

That's pretty much why the Proline 650 first came to my mind. Still wouldn't want to wear them though for 8 hours straight. Have you considered the latest mod for the Proline 650 in this thread?
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 33

blackinches

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Posts
81
Likes
10
I came here to make the same complaint, except regarding my SR-60s + bowls.

My budget is under $200. How are the Sennheiser HD-595s?
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 33

spurlints

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Posts
24
Likes
0
Since you say the sound is not the problem, have you considered using the comfies from Grado instead of the bowls (which I assume you're using)? You can get them for ~ $10; they're a lot more comfortable than the bowls, which I'm using right now (they're killing my ears...lol)
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 33

kamal007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Posts
2,138
Likes
15
try flat pads, senn hd414, reversed hd414 pads, c-pads..
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 33

blackinches

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Posts
81
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spurlints /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you say the sound is not the problem, have you considered using the comfies from Grado instead of the bowls (which I assume you're using)? You can get them for ~ $10; they're a lot more comfortable than the bowls, which I'm using right now (they're killing my ears...lol)


I'll consider that. A friend gave me these SR60s. He'd left them in a closet for ~5 years and the original pads were deteriorating. The foam was hard and crumbly and falling apart more each time I touched it, so I bought these bowls based on their supposedly better sound quality. I would've gone with the comfies if I'd known the cans were unwearable after 1-2 hours...

Will these sound much worse?
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 33

Bootleg

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 23, 2007
Posts
1,602
Likes
10
Ultrasone PROline 750's or Denon D2000's
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 33

Moocher

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 25, 2007
Posts
457
Likes
10
What about the Audio Technica A700 or A900? Closed, supposed to be very comfortable, decent sounding.

Mooch
 
Aug 25, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 33

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Posts
2,055
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackinches /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll consider that. A friend gave me these SR60s. He'd left them in a closet for ~5 years and the original pads were deteriorating. The foam was hard and crumbly and falling apart more each time I touched it, so I bought these bowls based on their supposedly better sound quality. I would've gone with the comfies if I'd known the cans were unwearable after 1-2 hours...

Will these sound much worse?



I seems that it may be more comfortable than bowls. A search could return you better results though ...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top