Help me replace my DAC
May 11, 2009 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

samspotting

New Head-Fier
Ok, so my dac707 superpro has died, and it looks like the company i bought it from is not going to honour their warranty.

So, I am going to check out my options, as I want to have a new one asap.

I loved the superpro dac sound, if it didnt have such a crappy power supply and connection, I would buy it again.

So far I am considering fubar II and the zero. Will they both have as good sound as the superpro or better?

May 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 10
I got it from obad imports. I emailed them a few times over the last few weeks, over their gmail address and gtalk. No responses so far...

I might just go and get a new power cable to see if that works. Do I just record the type of power cord and goto someplace like radioshack (the source or w/e they are called now) and ask for one? Or is the power cable more specialized and I need to order over the net.

I just got my tax return so I have a bit of money to burn. I'm looking at the zero right now,
Zero DAC with the HDAM, LT1364, and upgraded volume pot - (eBay.ca item 230342453426 end time 18-May-09 10:03:10 EDT)

This has the hdam upgrade, does that mean it no longer takes opams? That is, the common OPA627 upgrade is no longer needed?

May 11, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 10
FYI - I believe I saw a post in the HUGE Zero thread that said that seller (Lawrence) is being unresponsive to replacement inquiries. Seems the newer Zeros have had some major quality issues, and I only mention it since you may not want to risk going through this again.

May 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 10
I recently compared a Zero DAC to an old Audio Alchemy DDE 1.1 that my mother has. Yes, the ZERO dac is more detailed perhaps (over sampling?) and has a fancier red (or was it blue, can't remember?) LED. But the Audio Alchemy was far superior when it came to musicality and pure listening enjoyment.
If you're connecting with SPDIF (rather than the preferable USB IMO), I urge you to give AA's a try.

May 12, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, the zero once I researched it looks shoddy.

I am still going to try and get obad imports to honour its warranty. If not, im probably going for the compass.

Do you think the compass is overkill for audioengine a2's?

I would get alchemys but they are impossible to find here in canada.

May 12, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by samspotting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the zero once I researched it looks shoddy.

I am still going to try and get obad imports to honour its warranty. If not, im probably going for the compass.

Do you think the compass is overkill for audioengine a2's?

I would get alchemys but they are impossible to find here in canada.

I can't speak for the Compass, but I've run the Fubar II on a pair of A2s and it really brought out the sound. I'm not saying to not get the Compass (the headphone amp is definitely a plus), what I am saying is the Fubar II sounded great as it was.

May 12, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Ok, finally after a week and a half I was able to reach obad imports, and now it looks like I will be getting a replacement power cord to see if that fixes things, and if not then a replacement dac.

May 12, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 10
Shake the tree and see what falls out. You might find a totally better power supply at Radio Shack anyway. Wallwarts are usually not hard to find. Just need to figure out the input jack, and the polarity/voltage required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back