Help me rebuild!
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nugget

100+ Head-Fier
I managed to destroy both of my decent cans, DT770/80s and MS-1s, while moving cross-country a few weeks back. I've been wandering in the headphile wastes ever since, making do with some godawful Sony earclips and some slightly better Koss BKH3s, both of which were originally intended only for gym use. Now I'm on the lookout for a new pair, hopefully ones that deliver a lot of what I liked best about the older ones.

For the DT770/80s, I loved the isolation and the bass extension. I'm by no means a basshead, but some solid impact is always nice. I also really appreciated the sense of space. Orchestral pieces really seemed to occupy a good-sized hall. Which leads me to...

The MS-1s, which I preferred in every respect except for the utter lack of soundstage. They were punchy, detailed, and just fun. Unfortunately I just couldn't listen to anything recorded outside the studio with them, because everything sounded like it was inside my forehead.

My rig, for the time being at least, is FLAC > X-Fi > Xiangsheng 708B. I'll probably mod the X-Fi or add a DAC at some point.

I listen to a lot of jazz (particularly guitar, like Kenny Burrell), blues, and classical (some small sets, e.g. Yo-Yo Ma's cello solos, but mostly larger arrangements like Moussorgsky's "Pictures At an Exhibition") along with some modern pop (like Dave Matthews) and rock (like Radiohead). I also listen to a good deal of electronica/jazz while working, Thievery Corporation and The Herbaliser. Also, I still like to seal out the world with a game from time to time, usually FPS games like Half-Life 2 or Bioshock. The DT770s were exceptional for that purpose.

So that narrows it down, I guess.
rolleyes.gif

Realistically, I'm probably looking at more than one can. My budget is somewhat flexible, but I'm not looking to go over $400-500. Thus far, I was impressed by the K701 in the short time I had with it at last week's NorCal meet, and I had been thinking about some closed Darths.

Recommendations?

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 7
1. How did you like HD650, or any comments on Sennheisers at all?
2. Did you try D2000/D5000?

I am throwing these kind of just in the air, but when I tried D5000, they had that fun tonality that you seemed to enjoy out of MS-1, while still claiming a soundstage and fairly capable bass (I almost put 'competent' here, but that is extremely unfair to the can...)

HD650 is also interesting since it can be fun and forward if you carefully match the system. When driven by one of the HeadAmp products it can be both - forward/fun and nicely sound-staging.

Neither one really isolates though. I think you would really enjoy HD650 + upcoming HeadAmp Pico, while swapping the x-fi and Xiansheng out of your rig (Pico is a dac/amp, very nice one at that, hopefully you got to listen to it at the meet).

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, how did you end up destroying both pairs of headphones?
eek.gif

Perhaps he's a masochistic one-headphone-in, one-headphone-out kind of guy, yet he couldn't bear selling them, so he ran them over with the moving truck?

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps he's a masochistic one-headphone-in, one-headphone-out kind of guy, yet he couldn't bear selling them, so he ran them over with the moving truck?

Thats one hell of a morbid theory, now I am going to have nightmares.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe subconsciously. My cans were the most important thing in a ridiculously overstuffed car, and I didn't want to leave them in full view overnight in a hotel parking lot so I brought them in with me. Next morning, after three hours of sleep, I brought them back to the car with my other bags, put them on the trunk while I packed up...forgot about them in my haste to get moving, and drove off. I remembered them when I hit 65 on the highway and heard a series of sickening crunches from the trailer's wheels.

Anyway, Malos -- I thought the Senns were kinda bland. I may have to demo them in a more analytical setting. Didn't try the Denons, but I've heard good things about them. I'll make sure to make time for a session with them at the next meet. As for the Pico, I agree it was excellent for its size, but I have a tough time believing it can beat a full-sized DAC/amp combo at the $500 price point -- something like a Zhaolu + amp or Aria.

I'll take a serious look at the Denons. Any opinions on the new DT770s? HeadRoom really likes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back