Help me re-cable my KSC75...
Jul 2, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 47
Jul 2, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually... I need to know how heavy/thick that Mini Star Quad cable is for portable use. I will be using the headband, so it prolly won't be as bad as with ear clips.

If it's pretty thick, tho... I might as well just get a straight jack, I'm guessing...

IDEAS??

Buy some 30 AWG solid core wire and braid it. For clip-ons, you really want something lightweight.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy some 30 AWG solid core wire and braid it. For clip-ons, you really want something lightweight.

he said he's using a headband, but yeah i still think you should go for something lighter than the starquad.

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 47
I re-cabled my KSC75's with some braided SPC wire, Silver Plated Copper, (it's AWG escapes me, I got it from FallenAngel).

This braided SPC wire is some what stiff and microphonics like mad!

I am going to get some Mogami 2799 Neglex Mini Quad cable and see how it comes out. It's only 0.126" OD (3.2mm)

Or I might use some Belden BL-82723 cable

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to get some Mogami 2799 Neglex Mini Quad cable and see how it comes out. It's only 0.126" OD (3.2mm)

That Mogami Neglex looks like the shiznit, Joshatdot! I'd definitely be willing to at least go in half with someone else because I don't think I'll need all 80ft required to make the purchase.

I assume I could use something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/50-26-AWG-Silver...QQcmdZViewItem

But it'd prolly be A LOT easier to use the quad cables, eh??

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I re-cabled my KSC75's with some braided SPC wire, Silver Plated Copper, (it's AWG escapes me, I got it from FallenAngel).

This braided SPC wire is some what stiff and microphonics like mad!

Looser braid, thinner wire, 3/16" multifilament all help. For DIY cables, if you give the wires more room, they'll be less microphonic.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

And what right-angle jack should I pick:

Neutrik NTP3RC-B OR Switchcraft 35HDRANAU???

First off, www.audioadapter.com has the best prices for Switchcraft products I've seen.

Here's the low down. Neutrik mini's have a hard gold plating, unlike the Switchcraft mini's soft gold plating, so it won't wear out. On the other hand, Switchcraft mini's are much easier to solder and make a tight connection with all mini jacks, something the Neutrik mini's can struggle with since the acutal plug is slim.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

First off, www.audioadapter.com has the best prices for Switchcraft products I've seen.

I looked there, but markertek was still cheaper...

Quote:

Here's the low down. Neutrik mini's have a hard gold plating, unlike the Switchcraft mini's soft gold plating, so it won't wear out. On the other hand, Switchcraft mini's are much easier to solder and make a tight connection with all mini jacks, something the Neutrik mini's can struggle with since the acutal plug is slim.

I've never soldered anything before, but I think I'd still rather have the Neutrik's harder plating than easier access for soldering.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

NOWWW....

What about TechFlex??

Will I need it with the quad cable types? And if so, which one is the most flexible, and where do I buy it??

I am interested in some TechFlex also. I think for the 2799 cable a 1/8" should be fine, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back