Help me- Pops-crackles, what usually causes them, what I can do to fix it?
Jul 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

KGUN

New Head-Fier
Situation:
Sometimes, or in certain songs I very faint pops and crackles. I Tried a song that starts off quiet and then picks up and I hear the crackling, I tried another song and there's no pops or crackles.. 
-
These are new headphones and it's a new sound card- I Just go both recently, Before I was using HDMI from my video card, now I'm using all 3.5mm to dual RCA cables. 
-
setup: 
Xonar DGX
HA-SZ2000
-
Hook up:
Straight to sound card.
-
-
I Don't know very much about the different quality sound formats, but would this have something to do with the pops n' crackles?

additional info:
the 1st song I Tried when I right click it, and go to details for bit rate it says: 192kbps (crackles)
the 2nd song I tried ":  160kbps (sounded good/no pops-crackles)
- not sure if that helps.

I'd appreciate any help with this, I'm not one to find that perfect sound - but I do not like pops and crackles when I'm listening to music, I'm not just going to ignore this..
-
*another thing, I Tried a different power outlet seperate from everything else.
* I've tried directly connected to the sound card, (not through a receiver)
* I made sure the sound card was seated properly
* I Can't move the sound card to a different slot, away from the GPU.

-KGUN

..I'll be back soon.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 33

additional info:
the 1st song I Tried when I right click it, and go to details for bit rate it says: 192kbps (crackles)
the 2nd song I tried ":  160kbps (sounded good/no pops-crackles)
- not sure if that helps.

It could be an error during the ripping process or that could have been in the copy that was ripped. Did you try re-ripping the same CD? Does it have the same noise if you're using the CD direectly?

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 33

It could be an error during the ripping process or that could have been in the copy that was ripped. Did you try re-ripping the same CD? Does it have the same noise if you're using the CD direectly?

well, I Can't find the CD, so I decided to find the song online, I found it on itunes(just the one song seeing as other places sell only the album and I wasn't about to buy the whole album..) so I got the one song, tried it and still have crackles, most noticable at the begining of the song, the song I've been trying is St. Anger, mainly b.c it starts of quiet where as when it's a an all-around loud song I barely notice the pops n' crackles. Music isn't always about loudness so when songs are more quiet and I hear the crackling it's bad.

the song bit rate for the bought one is: 281kbps - In case you were wondering.

I'm not sure how different the cd one is to this one. the youtube one does it, the one I tried before does it, and now also, the one I bought does it. I really hope the headphones aren't broke or something............

I hope there's a fix. It has to be something to do with the computer, I'm gunna try the song on something portable just to be sure..

EDIT/UDPATE: well I couldn't find anything portable to use. I decided to try my PS3. only thing is I don't have anything to transfer the song over to my PS3. SO, I had to finally try the option of media server through my computer to the PS3 I Figured it out with this PS3 media server java thing b.c I couldn't get it to work the regular way. anyways, I'll be back with some results for the sound and if there's any snaps crackles and pops. lol rice chrispys.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 33
so the results are...................

No pops or crackles from the song using my PS3.

so it's the PC/Sound Card.. what do I do now.. to fix it if it's the PC or Sound Card, or some setting. 

for the actual sound card settings on the XONAR DGX (Uni-Drivers) when using headphones I have it set to-

2 channels
96Khz
Headphone
Flexbass: OFF
Impedance thing: <32 Ohm
-
Main Volume: Depends
MIXER: MAX
EFFECT: OFF
-

I don't know what to do. No pops from PS3(I used the RCA cables also if you're wondering),  ..and Pops from PC.

another thing if I didn't mention yet, I have the realtek audio disabled/uninstalled. I had tried turning off all mic devices. nothing..

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 33
  Have you tried re-installing the driver?

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Xonar+DGX&p=21&s=3&os=-1

I'm using the uni-drivers which are supposedly better, I didn't read to much into it I just took someones advice and downloaded them to use...

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 33
Do you think I should re-install the originals or the uni-drivers?

I re-installed the uni-drivers, no effect. I'm gunna revert back to the most recent ASUS drivers to see if that fixes the pops/crackles..
Switching back to the ASUS drivers had no effect at all.

Still, pops and crackles. 
frown.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 33
  Do you think I should re-install the originals or the uni-drivers?

I re-installed the uni-drivers, no effect. I'm gunna revert back to the most recent ASUS drivers to see if that fixes the pops/crackles..
Switching back to the ASUS drivers had no effect at all.

Still, pops and crackles. 
frown.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

It could be another noise source inside the PC chassis, if it doesn't happen with the Playstation. There's the power supply running all sorts of other stuff in there, for starters, and this can be hard to trace (which is why external DACs, particularly with USB to appeal to a lot more computer users, became popular). Is it the exact same crackling at the exact same points in the song?

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 33

It could be another noise source inside the PC chassis, if it doesn't happen with the Playstation. There's the power supply running all sorts of other stuff in there, for starters, and this can be hard to trace (which is why external DACs, particularly with USB to appeal to a lot more computer users, became popular). Is it the exact same crackling at the exact same points in the song?

Thank you for the reply and information..

The crackling is most noticable every time at the begining, mainly because the song starts off quiet (Metallica - St. Anger(What I used)) then it's hard to notice any crackling when the song picks up but I'm pretty sure it's still there.

I just got the sound card, I Like it, it had Dolby headphone and also has Flexbass( a crossover ) Which is a MUST! for my setup... the reason it's a Must is, I'm using an older receiver with 5-channel inputs, and the receiver runs outputs in full-range.  I set the sound card crossover to what I need this way I'm not running my bookshelfs in Full Range. also I Can use my sub for the ' .1 ' 

it all works out well except for this one problem- the crackling. It's definetly way more noticable with my headphones. probly b.c they're isolated, no background noise or .. environmental noises.

if I Can't get this fixed, can you reply some decent / good / worth buying usb- external sound card.. I Don't want to have to do this but.. if I Can find one with the same type of specs as the Xonar DGX, one that also has a crossover and maybe dolby headphone or something similar, This would be good.

THANKS IN ADVANCE! and to anyone else who is willing to help with info related to this thread, thank you also...

***EDIT/Update: I Found this one***

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Surround-External-SB1560/dp/B00EZT7RE4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1405864050&sr=8-8&keywords=External+USB+5.1+sound+card

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

what do you think?

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 33

***EDIT/Update: I Found this one***

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Surround-External-SB1560/dp/B00EZT7RE4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1405864050&sr=8-8&keywords=External+USB+5.1+sound+card

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

what do you think?

If you're willing to shell out the cash while we're not 101% sure about the cause, then I'd say that's a good one to start you off with eliminating possible causes of the static and crackle.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 33
Some News- I have an old external USB Sound card, I tried it, there's no crackling in that same part of the song with a usb external sound card, but.. there is when I turn the volume on the sound card which is odd, maybe b.c I haven't treated this cheap sound card with the best of physical care.. lol - Anyways atleast now I know a USB sound card would give me an alternate option or choice. for now though, I Can use this for headphones.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 33
  Some News- I have an old external USB Sound card, I tried it, there's no crackling in that same part of the song with a usb external sound card, but.. there is when I turn the volume on the sound card which is odd, maybe b.c I haven't treated this cheap sound card with the best of physical care.. lol - Anyways atleast now I know a USB sound card would give me an alternate option or choice. for now though, I Can use this for headphones.

If it's the exact same noise and there is nothing else wrong with that DAC otherwise, then that basically means there is significantly lower chance that buying the other USB soundcard will solve the problem. Since it doesn't happen on the PS3 the PC is obviously the problem, but it seems moving it outside the chassis won't work either. Try different cables first, those might be the problem (as I assume they weren't used with the PS3).

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 33

If it's the exact same noise and there is nothing else wrong with that DAC otherwise, then that basically means there is significantly lower chance that buying the other USB soundcard will solve the problem. Since it doesn't happen on the PS3 the PC is obviously the problem, but it seems moving it outside the chassis won't work either. Try different cables first, those might be the problem (as I assume they weren't used with the PS3).

I don't think it would be the cables as I have tried connecting the headphones directly to the sound card. ya' know, I haven't really cleaned my computer in a long time. can dust be a possible culprit also?

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 33
I did not quite understand what have you plugged with RCA cable? Also do you use the Front panel jack or the back panel jack?
Press the HF button option in your Control center and listen if you still have the pop / crackle sound?

I am not sure if it can be your computer since any noise computer makes is mostly HISS and static noise, not random pops or crackles.

Btw have you disabled the on-board sound card? Disable and see if that fixes the issue.
Also if you heard it with the USB sound card also then its more likely its not your computer / sound card.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 33
  I did not quite understand what have you plugged with RCA cable? Also do you use the Front panel jack or the back panel jack?
Press the HF button option in your Control center and listen if you still have the pop / crackle sound?

I am not sure if it can be your computer since any noise computer makes is mostly HISS and static noise, not random pops or crackles.

Btw have you disabled the on-board sound card? Disable and see if that fixes the issue.
Also if you heard it with the USB sound card also then its more likely its not your computer / sound card.

I have a splitter that goes to my receiver with RCA cables, if that's what I said before, and you're meaning.

I will try the HF button. I don't think it will do anything seeing as I have nothing added on like effects or whatever. I Think the HF button just disables all added-on things, right?

I Guess you could call it like a static-y/crackle.. 
-
I had already disabled the onboard sound. I stated that the crackle sounds occurred (in the song) when using my Xonar DGX, but not with my external usb sound card or my PS3.

also, I used only the sound card not the front panel, I don't think the xonar is hooked up to the front panel.

Edit: I apologize for any confusion in my posts, I'm not exactly the best writer, I'm not usually involved with forums or writing for that matter. I figured this would be the best place to post for my problem. I  appreciate the help..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back