Help me pick some earbuds for my Wife.
Aug 4, 2005 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Her stock apple earbuds are starting to come apart at the plug end. I am thinking of either reterminating them with a new mini or getting her some new earphones. I had her try the Shure E4's last night with the see through tips [she thought the foamies were a little to gross
tongue.gif
] and she said they sound great, but it feels like her head is in a vice.

So canalphones are out unfortunately.
frown.gif

She would like a pair of earbuds that has some green [the ipod is alpine green] or pink [her ipod sock is pink] on them if possible, white cord preferred... I was thinking about the colored audio technica earbuds, but she isnt too crazy about spending $60 USD on earbuds. Any ideas for reasonably priced earbuds that don't sound like crap?

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 34
My father using these old Sony.. Not sure of the model type number. They are an earbud with a napple over the speaker that directs the sound into the ear. So it is like a cover on the earbud. Anyways I know there are quite an upgrade from stock headphones. My dad got my uncle a pair of them, I recently send him a pair of Shure e2s. He said liked the sound better from the Sony's. He was using a shuffle.

I think that only come in grey or black though.. lol..

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 34
If I were you and wanted to get something for my partner, I'd consider that Audio Technica CM3 too.

Comes in several interesting colours, not sure how they sound like (don't really expect that much anyway) but I'm quite sure it's better than stocks.

I have one of these Elecom headphones, the ivory colour one.
To be honest, the sound quality is below par (to me, not to my partner), but damn they look very classy.

If you want I can get you some close up shots of those for you to drool at.
biggrin.gif

They're cheap too by the way.

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 34
Hi Philodox,

My wife also had trouble finding the right 'phone for her Creative Zen. We had a pair of e2c's which she found uncomfortable. I thought she'd find the ER 4 too invasive, so I tried the ER 6. It was perfect.

Problem is you can't really try those out, and if your wife hated the ER 4, she might not like the ER 6, even though it's far less invasive.

How about either the Sennheiser px 100 or Koss Porta-Pro. Particularly the latter, said to have outstanding sound for very little money.

Andy Katz

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 34
Hmm... the AT phones do sound right up her alley - maybe give them to her anyway? Sometimes its nice to receive a gift when you wouldn't spend the money yourself.

Best,

-Jason

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
If I were you and wanted to get something for my partner, I'd consider that Audio Technica CM3 too.

Yeah, those are the ones I was talking about.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
Problem is you can't really try those out, and if your wife hated the ER 4, she might not like the ER 6, even though it's far less invasive.

Actually it was the Shure E4 that she tried. Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
How about either the Sennheiser px 100 or Koss Porta-Pro. Particularly the latter, said to have outstanding sound for very little money.

I used to have the AKG K26P's which she liked sound wise... I asked her if she would want something like that and she said. "No, I want earbuds"
tongue.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hmm... the AT phones do sound right up her alley - maybe give them to her anyway? Sometimes its nice to receive a gift when you wouldn't spend the money yourself.

Yeah, I think in the end this is what I will likely do.
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 34
gshan - Thanks, I'll check those out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 34
Save her the money and get her some mx400s. They are wonderful earbuds and a great price at that. $10 shipped cant beat that
600smile.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 34
Yes, but are they pink or green?
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 34
I'm gonna second Sony EX51 or EX71 in white. My wife seems to like my EX51/EX71 and she thinks it's helluva more comfortable than Ety ER-4S or Shure. Plus at mere 10-15% cost of Ety, you won't need to worry about the phone being stolen or getting damaged.
etysmile.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Save her the money and get her some mx400s. They are wonderful earbuds and a great price at that. $10 shipped cant beat that
600smile.gif

I 2nd this! Senn mx400/500/550 are very nice sounding buds especially considering $10-15 range. My mx500 are kinda bluesh but with black cord. Dunno if other colors are available.

Funny thing I was still enjoying mx500 even puting them on right after listening to my e4c or super.fi 5 pros.

Aug 4, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRick
wow... new ex51s with ex81 drivers? can someone elaborate with these? where can i get a pair.

The 51, 70, 71 and 81 all use the same 9mm driver, OFC wire, and same magnet.

They all sound the same - if you insert them in your ear all equally. Otherwise you get differences in bass - more if you insert real tight and less if not so tight.

I think when they do a new production run, they restyle the housing slightly and change the model number. Then everyone buys the new model and sells/discards their old ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back