Help me pick some cds up!
Jan 15, 2002 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Well, columbiua house offered us 12 more free cds. So, quick! Any cds I should pick up? Preferably HDCDs. I want to try that denon 370 OUT!

Oh yeah, I REALLY like radiohead's style . .. but i'm VERY open. Hmm. I'd like to get into jazz . . .

Jan 15, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 9
See the thread i started about Jazz/Blues cds for beginners.

George

Jan 15, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

Oh yeah, I REALLY like radiohead's style . ..

RADIOHEAD's style, huh?... Can't go wrong with these IMHO:

PORCUPINE TREE - Stupid Dream
PORCUPINE TREE - Lightbulb Sun
KING BLACK ACID - Loves A Long Song
MERCURY REV - Deserter's Songs
MERCURY REV - All Is Dream
COLDPLAY - Parachutes
FLAMING LIPS - Soft Bulletin
MASSIVE ATTACK - Mezzanine

Good luck.

Jan 15, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
any hdcds?

Sorry, I don't know if any of these is on HCDC. To be sincere with you, I don't mind with this aspect, I enjoy the music itself rather than the technical aspects involved with the recording process.
But I can assure you that all titles listed above sound brilliant to my ears.

Jan 15, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 9
If you want something a bit trippy, try Scott Weiland's "12 bar blues." I think that might be up your alley. It's a personal favorite of mine, i listen to it all the time! I can't think of any others right now.
frown.gif

George

Jan 15, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Don't listen to them. You are behooved to purchase these discs:

Holst - The Planets - I have the Telarc version, some others reccomended a Penguin version, either way this is simply my favorite classical piece. Most people seem to like Mars the most, and while I like it, and the terror filled war it sounds like, I prefer the majestic, silly, and slightly bombastic Uranus myself, it just sounds like pure magic to my ears. He didn't do a piece of earth or Pluto (As Pluto hadn't been discovered yet), but there is someone who added Pluto as fill (And did a decent job of doing so).

Symphony X - As some guy reviewing DWOT on Amazon said, to fully describe this group you would be calling them "symphonic neo-classical progressive speed metal". Yes, I agree with that statement, but more importantly their music is extremely good. If you can find The Divine Wings of Tragedy, GET IT, it is one of my favoirte CDs and will be one of yours too. If I had to name a few groups to describe the way they sound, maybe metallica + queen + dream theater + a bit of a more new metal style (The guitars have a crunchier sound to them). If you can't find DWOT then V is good, but DWOT is well worth the import price. They make use of Satriani style shredding, Queen style vocal harmonies, have a more modern sound, and just might floor you when you hear them. (I decided to push the hell out of this group untill some people get DWOT since everyone here has ignored them so far). They won't be ignored for long after that, I tell ya.

Brad Mehldau - Jazz pianist, easy to listen to and he covers Radiohead too. I like his Paranoid Android more then the
original. Good music to kick back and relax to.

Therion - Secret of the Runes - You had better be open minded for this one
smily_headphones1.gif
. Dark symphonic metal with operatic singing and real insturments, IE no synths, real violins, cellos, organ, harpsichord, french horn, yadda yadda yadda, but the songwriting is extremely good.

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Sure, its from the 70s, but it is good! Brain Salad Surgery and Pictures at and Exhibition are the ones to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back