Help me pick my third pair!
Jun 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 27
Like, my home stereo? I have a Harman/Kardon DVD player and surround receiver, an integrated amp (with processor in) from Thule, and floor standing speakers from System Audio. For traveling I also have a pair of Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro driven by a T-amp.

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #18 of 27
I reckon your DVD player and integrated amp will be doing HD 650's/similar cans more justice than your portable set-up. Maybe using your DVD player as a transport and getting a DAC would be the next most logical step (after getting your cans).

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reckon your DVD player and integrated amp will be doing HD 650's/similar cans more justice than your portable set-up. Maybe using your DVD player as a transport and getting a DAC would be the next most logical step (after getting your cans).

Yeah, probably. But I can't take those with me to work every day... So for now I'm looking for a pair of phones to be used with my current portable equipment.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 27
IMO, having in mind you comings, I would say you need some Grados! let's say some SR225 or SR325/MS2 (depending your music preferences)

Although, with some Beyer DT880 or K701 you would be very very well served!

Cheers

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #21 of 27
Jun 22, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #22 of 27
Ehh...well, if you're taking this to work... you're gonna want light, closed cans, prolly unamped too.

That leads you to RP-21 for larger cans, but better sound, but I think Sony MDR-V6 is one of the best "take to work" types of cans. It's very neutral, detailed, durable as heck, portable, long thick coily cord, about as comfortable as they come 'til you get a DT770 or something bigger like that. But I doubt it's anything like HD650. Still sounds amazing for $75, tho... and man the build quality is equally amazing.

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, I'd say Beyers based on your musical tastes...

Enjoy amping DT770 and then have it Darthed later for $200.
Or enjoy the more tamed outta the box, neutral, detailed DT880.

And of course you gotta buy Alessandro MS-1 (or SR-225) somewhere else down the line.

as I said.. I must agree with this one! (ms-1/some beyers) and you go woderfull!!

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Ehh...well, if you're taking this to work... you're gonna want light, closed cans, prolly unamped too.

No, the phones can stay in my office. And so can my source (NW-HD5) and my amp (X-1 Pro). But since I'm using the DVD-player and integrated amp at home, if wanted to use them for the phones at the office as well, I would have to drag them back and forth every day.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 27
You keep saying for use "in quiet office"... does that mean you can use open cans?? If so, get MS-1 or SR-225. If it must be closed, use amp with DT770. If you want something that's more portable & can be used with or without an amp, get MDR-V6. If you want something that prolly prefers to be unamped & is a great value, but slightly flawed in the uppertreble range, get RP-21.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

You keep saying for use "in quiet office"... does that mean you can use open cans??

Actually, I'm not a 100% sure how it will work out yet. Usually, the office is pretty busy, and I will normally be using my ATH-ANC7 (active noise cancelling) at those hours. But in the evenings, and especially when I'm working overtime, it is a lot more quiet. If a pair of open cans will be too disturbing for my coworkers, I'm not sure yet.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But in the evenings, and especially when I'm working overtime, it is a lot more quiet. If a pair of open cans will be too disturbing for my coworkers, I'm not sure yet.

With just plain ol' KSC75, I bother others in the same room enough that they can't focus as much as if I'm not in the room... if that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back