May 27, 2023 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gallionetech

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I’m looking for a DAP that would be a great pairing for my:
- Empire Ear Odins (most important)
- Focal Stellia (2nd most important)
- Focal Utopia 2022

I currently have the Cayin N8ii, but I am selling it as it is just too bulky for me on the go.

I’m looking for something that’s not as thick as the N8ii. Something that has tight bass, warm but also doesn’t lack detail retrieval.

Right now my top picks are:
- Sony WM1ZM2
- A&K SP3000
- A&K SP2000t
- iBasso DX320
- Cayin N7

Price is not a concern, just looking for the best possible dap that is also not a brick & doesn’t get very hot. I plan to use this dap while traveling, walking, etc..

Thanks all!!

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 14
If you're not streaming, I would say the P6 pro is a great match for Odin.

May 28, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 14
If you're not streaming, I would say the P6 pro is a great match for Odin.
Sorry I should have mentioned, I only stream pretty much. I do need something that has microsd support as I do download for offline use through Tidal

May 28, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 14
Then I would try the N7 since the other ones in your top pick are all heavy and bulky.

I used to think I need an open Android dap and after using the p6pro I won't go back lol. Btw it has really nice bluetooth receiver which means you can still stream from your phone.

May 28, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 14
Then I would try the N7 since the other ones in your top pick are all heavy and bulky.

I used to think I need an open Android dap and after using the p6pro I won't go back lol. Btw it has really nice bluetooth receiver which means you can still stream from your phone.
Or use it as a USB DAC if you want to avoid lossy connections! Love my P6Pro!

May 28, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 14
I’d be all for the L6 if it had android, my main concern is I need something that can download tidal offline as my phone doesn’t have a lot of storage.

I may try the N7, although it’s almost the same size of the N8ii. I was listening to the N8ii with my Utopias last night and forgot how much I love the sound of it. Really warms up the Utopias a bit.

May 29, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 14
I feel after using N8ii, you may miss something in all other DAPs. RS8 is another one. But if you go to N7 etc, it will be ~20% lighter but it may not match the sound quality of N8ii or RS8. Though stsnd alone all these DAPs are good, just that N8ii snd RS8 have something extra. It's better you demo them if possible before buying.

May 29, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 14
I feel after using N8ii, you may miss something in all other DAPs. RS8 is another one. But if you go to N7 etc, it will be ~20% lighter but it may not match the sound quality of N8ii or RS8. Though stsnd alone all these DAPs are good, just that N8ii snd RS8 have something extra. It's better you demo them if possible before buying.
I’ve owned the RS8, loved it but it was even heavier/bulkier than the N8ii. I do agree the N8ii is really special. I’m thinking about just keeping it and dealing with the size

May 29, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 14
Definitely, the Sony WM1Z. I didn't care about the money. Love mine. There's no better sound. The Interface is easy. Downsides are weight an slow to start up, but I think they all are. I use a variety of buds like ATH-IEX1, LCDi4, Shures, etc. Its all great

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 14
I have WM1Z, WM1AM2 and DX300 Max. I have settled on my WM1AM2 when traveling and love it. I would imagine the ZM2 would fit your needs wonderfully.

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 14
DX320 Max is by far the best for me atm.
Love my DX300 Max, but I think his "not a brick" requirement might come into play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back