Help me pick my last cans, please.
Feb 18, 2004 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jfalford

100+ Head-Fier
I have decided that I am going to buy one more pair of cans to go with my RS-1s and Ety 4P/s. They would do duty predominately in my main rig being driven by a headroom max and fed by a Jolida JD100. Musical tastes lean toward classical, jazz, and some more esoteric new age like Steve Roach, Steve Tibbetts, and Lisa Garrard. The main phones I am considering right now are the hd650s and the Sony CD3000s. The problem is I have never heard these in person and where I live this is not likely to happen. Do not feel limited by the choices that I have stated but keep in mind that while I am looking for a reference set of phones my budget is going to be around the price of those two. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
etysmile.gif
rs1smile.gif
confused.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 28
Do you already like the more aggressive sound of the RS-1s and want something like them? If so I would say go with the Sonys. The difference between the Senns laid back sound and the Grado more forward sound would make for a very different sounding set of cans.

If you are looking for someting different than the Grado sound, something to compliment them and give a more relaxed sound, then the Senns would be for you.

It all depends upon which way you want to go with your sound.

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 28
I bought the last pair of cans I would ever buy three months ago, the Grado SR-325s.

Since then, I've bought the Senn HD-600s and Stax 2020 system, and will eventually buy some AKG K1000s
smily_headphones1.gif

So this will be your last pair of 'phones?
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 28
gradofan, I understand your cynicism, but having four children 10 and under and having gotten my speaker-based system to a good point it was time to make this my line in the sand. I know that the temptation will arise from time to time but I will just have to bite my lip and enjoy what I have. John

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 28
The HD650 is a much better headphone than the CD3000 and is a perfect compliment for RS-1 and ER-4S. The CD3000 sounds more like the RS-1 but is definitely not in the same level of performance, although many would disagree. HD650s are just perfect for jazz, classical, etc. They still sound better than any other headphone with general listening as well.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 28
I'm actually stuck between the HD650's and the CD3000's. I've heard both and I kinda prefer the CD3000 sound because it kinda colors the music, however, I think internally I'm more of a neutral sound fan. Yeah, it's kinda ironic, but I'd go with the CD3000 here.

Feb 19, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 28
Wow, what a choice to make. Both seem to have wonderful support groups.

But as for the K1000's, without an amp aren't they kinda out of it? Therefore knocking them out by way of budget?

Feb 19, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 28
Why not pick up the hd650's and a Zu cable? Most people who own both say then the 650's walk over the cd3000's. I wish I could tell you more, but can't until next week after my cd3k's get here and I can compare
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 28
Would a max not have enough umph for the K1000s? I guess without another amp they would be run off of my adcom or I have an acurus DIA in another room that would be a possible amp for it.

Feb 19, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Jbroad572
Why not pick up the hd650's and a Zu cable? Most people who own both say then the 650's walk over the cd3000's. I wish I could tell you more, but can't until next week after my cd3k's get here and I can compare
biggrin.gif

I want to here what you think about those two head to head. John

Feb 19, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 28
I would say the 650 with a Mobius, Silver Dragon , or even a Blue Dragon would be a nice complement to the cans you already have. I have very little experience with the CD3K but found it to be a bit overpowering with certain types of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back