Help me pick my first decent pair of headphones? M50X or?
Nov 9, 2015 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

naanman

New Head-Fier
New user here!
I've been researching for the last couple of days, I'm planning on getting some decent headphones for myself, all I've been using for personal audio are some old Skullcandy Ink'd 2 buds and a Turtlebeach X12, which obviously aren't the greatest. Never used an audiophile-grade set before. I've kept reviews and portability, isolation, and somewhat design (not a priority) in mind when I compiled this list of what I've found and like to be viable for my wallet (around ~$120):

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X (~$140)
    +Excellent reviews literally everywhere
    +Foldable
    +Swivelling
    +Detachable and assortment of cables
    >285 g
    >Looks, eh decent
    -Most expensive

Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 ($70)
    +Swivelling
    +Pretty light at 175 g
    +Small, sleek and slim
    >Generally unknown quality
    -Non-detachable cords

Audio-Technica ATH-WS55 ($60)
    +Swivelling
    +Even lighter at 165 g
    +Small, sleek and slim
    >Generally unknown quality
    -Non-detachable cords

Shure SRH-440 (~$100)
    +Foldable
    +Detachable cords
    >Pretty sleek but dull
    >272 g

Shure SRH-550DJ (~$100)
    +Foldable
    +Swivelling
    >Looks sleek and interesting
    >235 g (lighter than 440)
    -Non-detachable cords

Superflux HD688B (~$60)
    +Pretty good reviews across sites
    >Looks interesting but cheap-looking
    -Pretty massive
    -Not fully closed

Suggest more, as I like more options (though I hate deciding). I can't judge any audio quality because I've never used any so I request help from the pros. If there is any lacking in the audio spectrum, my phone and computer have DD equalizers so that's not really a problem. I've been considering putting an AKG or 2 on the list, but I don't see them being very portable with those massive earpads and lack of rotation and folding. There're plenty of Sennheisers that I've looked at, but none of them seem to stand out in the audiophile community as much as the M50 line, plus a lot of the Sennheisers are open-back. Almost every major tech site has listed the M50X as one of the best budget headphones under $200 (that's why it made it past the $120 budget). I'm leaning towards the M50X because of all the praise it's getting. Also I'll probably get new pads (likely velour) for any one of them that gets 

picked.

Help?

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Well the budget doesn't look like you have much to spend, so I'm assuming you won't get a DAC or already have one.

If I were you, I'd save a bit more for the AKG K553 (just my tastes)

Well actually I'd save up half a grand and slap it down for something real nice xD

But anyway, from the list, I'd say ATH M50x.

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi, as a musician, not an audiophile, I love my Sennheiser 280 Pro. Comfy but tight, they passively isolate a bit. They're flat signal, built for studio situations. I love them, and I bought them for under $80. I'd pay $100 again for them. You need to burn them in, of course. I hope it helps!

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 5
  Well the budget doesn't look like you have much to spend, so I'm assuming you won't get a DAC or already have one.

If I were you, I'd save a bit more for the AKG K553 (just my tastes)

Well actually I'd save up half a grand and slap it down for something real nice xD

But anyway, from the list, I'd say ATH M50x.

What makes you like the K553?

Hi, as a musician, not an audiophile, I love my Sennheiser 280 Pro. Comfy but tight, they passively isolate a bit. They're flat signal, built for studio situations. I love them, and I bought them for under $80. I'd pay $100 again for them. You need to burn them in, of course. I hope it helps!

They look pretty durable with a tad of bulk, but will keep in mind- thanks.

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 5
I love it for its quality. It's build quality is really solid and the look is really clean, to me the EarPads are really comfortable. They're really large but still comfy and sound somewhat open (great soundstage) despite being closed.
They also have some good bass, though 'bass heads' and 'bass lovers' would say it sounds closer to neutral.

What makes you like the K553?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back