Help me pick my first DAC
Dec 4, 2009 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

molokovellocet

Head-Fier
Hello currently my setup is Auzentech Prelude --> Ultrasone HFI-780 they sound nice but am wondering if a new DAC could improve my setup. I would keep the prelude because I also like to game and would use the optical out to feed the DAC.

My budget is $300-$600. I've read good things about MF V-Dac, Cambridge DACMagic. Is it worth it to upgrade to one of these DAC's over the Prelude's sound?

I'm also considering PS Audio Digital Link III how does this DAC compare to the previous two mentioned?

I listen to Trance mostly, also like electronica, alternative rock and pop. I plan to buy a nice pair of open headphones later as well to go with my sweet 780's.

I realize I need to get an amp as well but that's for another day
L3000.gif

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 9
Is it worth it to upgrade to any of these from a prelude? I'm not exactly sure what these DAC's do.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Your money might be better spent on an amp now, to get the best out of your headphones. The prelude has pretty decent specs, and uses quite a good DAC chip itself.
Of course good specs do not always make for a good sounding product, and with an external DAC driven by the S/PDIF output of your prelude, or from USB, you get the benefit of a dedicated power supply for the DAC itself, which has a major effect on the sound quality of the device.

Looking more closely at your two choices (the Vdac and the DACmagic), both of them only have line level output, meaning that they would not be able to drive your headphones directly. You would need an amp with either of them.

I am a big proponent of DIY, just love the bang for buck you get. Even if you are not into doing it yourself, keep an eye out in the For Sale section for an M3, CK2III, SOHAII, and my current baby, a CTH.
If this http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...supply-458552/ is still available, I would highly recommend it. The M3 is one of THE most respected mid priced Solid State DIY amp designs currently available(ie, availability of boards and components limits the popularity of some designs, such as the Dynalo), probably only surpassed by the Beta22, which is in a different price range all together(the CK2III is another great SS option and is a somewhat easier build). I started out in the hybrid realm with a SOHA+Jisbos, and now a CTH, and may do a SOHAII or an EHHA next(when I get my other projects done) The Millet Hybrid max is also well respected and they show up on the For Sale forum often

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the CIAudio VDA-2:
CIAudio VDA-2

I had the DLIII and VDA-2 at the some time for awhile and gave the edge to the VDA-2.

I noticed that DAC uses a Burr Brown PCM1794 chip, isn't that the same one in the ASUS Sonar STX soundcard? I believe the STX has better sound than the prelude but the STX also doesn't cost $600.

I plan on purchasing an amp as well with my new headphones.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 9
molokovellocet, I'm in the same boat and I can't get an answer... I currently have a Xonar Essence ST and I want to get a DAC as well. My price range is a bit higher, I was looking at the Meier StageDAC. It can be had for $745 in the US and from what I've been reading, it's a very good DAC. What nobody can tell me is how does the StageDAC compare to my Essence ST in terms of sound quality and detail.
My current complete setup is:
Essence ST -> Meier Corda Opera Analog amp -> Denon D5000
The StageDAC would be fed through S/PDIF by the Essence ST and would output the signal to the Opera Analog amp.

As for you, molokovellocet, I believe at this stage, a headphone amp would bring you more than a new DAC. My Essence ST has an integrated headphone amp and it drove my Denons really good, but the Meier Opera made a big difference. Sound has more body, bass is more controlled, soundstage is much better, plus, the Crossfeeder is a must have if you ask me.
So, keep a look out for DAC's, but remember a headphone amp is required.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Cool I'm considering the D7000 and various amps like C2C, EF2, EF5.
Still not sure about the DAC's, although that Audio-GD DAC-19Mk3 recommended looks interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back