Help me pick headphones (portable use).
Oct 5, 2004 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Drift Monkey

New Head-Fier
I've read around a bit and have some to the conclusion that I want (need) a nice pair of cans since the ones that came with the iPod I just purchased are already annoying the hell out of me. I'm not too fond of ear buds/canalphones (they hurt), but I need them to be quiet, so a closed design is what I'm more biased on choosing. They also need to be somewhat portable as I'll be taking them to work/school. Suggestions? Oh and my price range is $0-$200 if that helps.
icon10.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
Sennheiser HD25-1, that is the best choice going by your criteria
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, from what I've read people that have 'em, really like 'em. Are these much better than the MDR-7506/V6 or HD-280s (for the price)?

Another suggestion I've read of is the A900. Thoughts?

Oct 5, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 26
As much as I hate to trip up newbies, there's a button called Search towards the screen which will answer practically all of your questions about all of the phones you mentioned.

Whether the HD25-1 is worth it or not depends on your perspective, i.e. whether $100 is affordable and whether $200 is a stretch. Sonically, no you don't get twice the sound for your money, but as an overall package yes I'd say it's worth it.

Strengths of the HD25-1
- Sound quality given other factors (see below). It has punch and bounce to it, without overdoing anything in particular.
- Lightweight
- Durable
- Very efficient (works to an acceptable degree even out of 0.5mw portables)
- Very isolated
- Wide wear options (wearing on neck = no problem, pivoting headband allows variations in fit and stability)
- Cord is manageable length for portable use

Weaknesses
- Clampy (although this does loosen up a little over time)
- Hot in summer / hot climate
- $200 can be a lot of money for some, especially for a mere headphone.
- Opinions divided on looks, with some saying 'old school cool' and others saying 'a bit goofy'.

Oct 5, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
As much as I hate to trip up newbies, there's a button called Search towards the screen which will answer practically all of your questions about all of the phones you mentioned.

Whether the HD25-1 is worth it or not depends on your perspective, i.e. whether $100 is affordable and whether $200 is a stretch. Sonically, no you don't get twice the sound for your money, but as an overall package yes I'd say it's worth it.

Strengths of the HD25-1
- Sound quality given other factors (see below). It has punch and bounce to it, without overdoing anything in particular.
- Lightweight
- Durable
- Very efficient (works to an acceptable degree even out of 0.5mw portables)
- Very isolated
- Wide wear options (wearing on neck = no problem, pivoting headband allows variations in fit and stability)
- Cord is manageable length for portable use

Weaknesses
- Clampy (although this does loosen up a little over time)
- Hot in summer / hot climate
- $200 can be a lot of money for some, especially for a mere headphone.
- Opinions divided on looks, with some saying 'old school cool' and others saying 'a bit goofy'.

It's cool, every forum has it's search nazi's.
tongue.gif
I did some research but just wanted to see if it was thourough enough and make sure my options are covered. Money is an issue and I know I'm not going to get twice the sound...but I just wanted an overall objective opinion on these as they're still on the top of my list. Thanks for you input though.
icon10.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 26
What about the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro? Would these better suit me? They got a higher overall rating (although are in a different category at headroom.com) They are full sized (which I kinda like) so they're probably a bit better at sound isolation, but how about pure sound?

Oct 6, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomicarnage
"The A900 is not truly portable - it is much too large."

Ditto for the HD-280

Size doesn't concern me THAT much and if the HD-280 are anything similar size-wise to the V6 then they're completely livable for me. That being said would you recommend them over the HD-25s (sound quality and isolation taken into consideration?

Oct 6, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomicarnage
"The A900 is not truly portable - it is much too large."

Ditto for the HD-280

Balls. The 280s are much smaller than the A900s, and they grip your head much harder. They won't come off. I still don't think they're suitable, go for EX71s, MD33, or for a step up Ety 6i's. If you really don't like them, consider Senn PX200 or Sony V6.

Edit - in the last 2 weeks people have started raving over the HD25s, or one of the varients. Actually one guy has been raving mainly, but I forget who. They'd be worth a look too.

Oct 6, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Balls. The 280s are much smaller than the A900s, and they grip your head much harder. They won't come off. I still don't think they're suitable, go for EX71s, MD33, or for a step up Ety 6i's. If you really don't like them, consider Senn PX200 or Sony V6.

Edit - in the last 2 weeks people have started raving over the HD25s, or one of the varients. Actually one guy has been raving mainly, but I forget who. They'd be worth a look too.

Right, those are at the top of my list now currently (HD25). I have a bad experience with teh earbuds and such so I gotta rules those out. Which leaves the HD25s, HD280s, or V6s. I'm leaning towards the HD25s as of yet, but I'm worried about leakage since they don't cover the ear like the others, but what do I know?

Oct 6, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 26
If I could tote an elephant-sized headphone on my head for the best portable sound quality, I would do it.

I do not wear the ATH-A900s portably, and I love them.

Here is why:

1)V-wing supports do not clamp down upon your head, allowing the pleather pads and cups to jump up and down on your ears as you walk. This is quite an uncomfortable sensation and impractical for a pleasant listening experience.

2)They're HEAVY. REALLY HEAVY. Heavier than the plastic sennheisers, heavier than the MS-2 (I believe), heavier than anything I have ever worn.

3)Even with the best cord wrap out there, it's difficult to manage a ten-foot long cord.

You could wear the HD280s portably if you wanted to; they're fairly light and small.

However, I don't see why you would; the sound quality provided by Koss Porta Pros or Sennheiser PX-100s is just as good, if not better!

I don't like the HD25s enough to purchase them over the Porta Pros or PX-100s, either. I don't see how the cost is justified...you are paying a lot of money for a minimal improvement in sound quality in a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back