help me pick gaming headset
Dec 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

imabeast7

New Head-Fier
First let me say im a total noob at this. I dont know which sounds are considered low medium or high. I have a 150 budget with some wiggle room either way. These headphones will be used almost solely for gaming online. So id like an open back to hear directional footsteps etc. However id like to also hear a grenade or gunshots with some bass, cant have it sounding so light I feel like its an airsoft rifle. Guess I kinda want to feel in the game as well. So far though 100s of pages of research with everyone saying something different im having no luck. And theres no where to sample headsets I know of. So far ive come up with, senns 558, 598. Hyperx clouds, mx40s (I will pay extra for mic and mixamp if needed). Help thoughts appreciated.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 12
The sticky at the top has everything you need. Just take a read through there.

In short you'll need to decide if you need to factor in a mic and a surround decoder which won't leave you with much

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 12
You won't get a clear best. I hate to say it, but it's a case of just growing a pair and buying what you feel may hit the points you want ( soundstage & bass ). I bet there's no one on this forum who has loved every headphone they've had btw!

Mad Lust's guide will have a headphone to meet your expectations. DT990 premium 32ohm?? i dunno what US price is tho.

Try some second hand if you don't feel like gambling.

Also as you've never experienced a decent headphone before anything will sound good to you.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Yea but im a single fulltime father. Cant 'grow a pair' and just buy any pair without research like a child would. Im trying to do some research to make a smart choice. So far after reading many 100s of posts the ones I named come up the most in my price range but most claim the bass is very lacking. Therefor looking for suggestions to do more research on that would meet my wants. But yes im sure almost anything will sound better than earbuds.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Sound identification can be very subjective so what sounds bassy to someone, may not be to you. Also it depends what others will run them off too.

Yes a major dilema and i sympathise with your predicament, but the audio world isn't clear cut.

Narrow your choices down, see if others have used them with a mixamp, if not, then it's just a risk you'll have to take.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #10 of 12
It all depends on personal taste. I've learnt what gaming headphones suit me over prolonged use of many different varieties, so as eskimo said you just have to take some risks.

In my view, wireless headsets are the way to go, because if you're like me then wires flapping about on your keyboard mid game can get very tiresome. I also use my headset frequently, so something with a quick charge and prolonged wireless life is what I needed. Not so concerned with sound quality when it comes to gaming but that's where I differ with the majority of people on this forum in this case.

Right now, I use the Plantronics CS50, because they're comfortable and designed for long-term use by telemarketers. So not exactly a gaming headset, but still a worthwhile model in my view.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 12
Altough not fitting your price range 100 %, I can fully recommend the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro. Open headphones, great bass, sound very airish, scratchy highs but they were recommended to me on here for gaming and movies and I never regretted getting them. Maybe this helps as a starting point.
I also owned the Sennheiser HD598 and while I loved how they sounded I would not go with them for gaming (bass is much weaker).

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 12
  Get the best headphones you can afford and add a modmic. HD558 are open, but the soundstage is really meh.

*This*

I play a lot of games and have yet to hear a gaming headset that sounded much better than a pair of yoghurt pots. OK, I exaggerate, but you get the idea...

Get a decent set of cans you can use for anything, add a mic when you want to game - sorted :)

PS: Mind you, that said - I *think* Q-pad's headset is a Takstar Pro-80 with added mic? Might be worth checking out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back