Help me pick an optimal $600 Set-up
Aug 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

themidship

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm about to spend about $600-650 on a set-up. I plan to use this on my PC. I will use this for movies and music, and honestly I listen to an extremely broad range of music. I do want something that will really make audio in movies pop.

I'm trying to decide between the HiFiman HE-400 and the Sennheiser HD650 as the headphones to build upon. Then with the remainder of my budget get an amp and/or DAC to compliment it. I really want the building blocks to a really nice audiophiletopia.

Where should I start building my set-up?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 14
what about the sennheiser hd600 and a tube magic d1?

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146611-REG/Sennheiser_HD_600_HD_600_Headphone.html

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 14
Heya,

It will come down to your preference in sound. When you say pop, it's not the same as someone else. To me, "pop" means it's going to have thunderous wonderful bass and some exciting bright treble, not a flat neutral sound. Based on that, I wouldn't touch the HD650, as it's pretty boring to me. The HE-400 on the other hand isn't overly bright, but it does have everything else--it pops. The DT990 also pops, it's bassy and bright. As for source gear, I would focus mostly on the headphone. It's easy to buy more DAC/AMP than you actually will be able to audibly appreciate depending on the headphone. I see a lot of folk getting higher source gear than their headphones and being someone who has a lot of that, I've yet to notice my $XXX headphone sounding different or better really from something that was $XXXX amplifier/DAC wise instead of something that was also $XXX or even $XX if that makes sense.

HIfiman HE-400 with either Fiio E10 or an NFB12.1. For the cost, this setup is probably going to be a current best-per-dollar.
Beyer DT990 600ohm with NFB12.1. Same as above, but with more emphasis on bass and treble.
Ultrasone PRO 2900 with Fiio E10. Focuses on serious amounts of bass, and everything else is more relaxed (not as bright as closed Ultrasones).
Denon D5000 (or the new 600 variant) with Fiio E10. Monstrous sub bass, a little excitement in treble, but not overly bright.

Note, prices do not reflect true "quality." A lot of stuff is priced due to original of manufacture, brand name, marketing, and demand. Some things cost more and are not even as good as things that cost less. It's best to simply ignore cost and focus on finding what sound you want to hear and what will get you there in your budget.

Very best,

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Thank you very much. You gave good concise answers that gave me reasons behind why you would pick certain items. This was greatly informative and really helped me decide what to pick and why.

I really like the first option. I don't like the nfb12.1 website to order so I'm ruling that out(just seems like a hassle, and it is ugly). The e10 actually leaves me about another $140 to work with. Is there another step-up of amp/dac you'd recommend? I guess one in the $200 range, or even a little more if say for $300 I could get an dac/amp that'd really be something that'd I'd use for a long time.

Thanks again, you've been informative and a great help.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Thank you very much. You gave good concise answers that gave me reasons behind why you would pick certain items. This was greatly informative and really helped me decide what to pick and why.

I really like the first option. I don't like the nfb12.1 website to order so I'm ruling that out(just seems like a hassle, and it is ugly). The e10 actually leaves me about another $140 to work with. Is there another step-up of amp/dac you'd recommend? I guess one in the $200 range, or even a little more if say for $300 I could get an dac/amp that'd really be something that'd I'd use for a long time.

Thanks again, you've been informative and a great help.

Heya,

You can of course use the E10 with the HE-400. There's no need to get another DAC/AMP. The HE-400 and Fiio E10 are a nice combination. If you want something more expensive with more power, then consider picking up something like a Maverick D1. Or pair the E10 with something like a Schiit Asgard. Or pair a Music Streamer II with an Asgard. Also note, a lot of AV receivers can power headphones just fine. I have a mid-range Pioneer AV receiver that powers my Hifiman HE-500 just fine for example.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 14
I ended up getting some he-400s( I kind of just had my heart set on these).
Then, instead of then e10, I picked up the e17 for a bit more portability. I also heard it produced a little bit better sound.

Thanks a whole lot for your support and help Mal, I respect and cherished it.
I don't have the he-400s in yet, but my Grado sr80s have benefited from the e17. It really opens the sound stage. I'm still pretty new to all the audiophile terms, but with the e17 I can hear where each instrument is coming from a lot Better i feel.

Thanks again,
Kyle

Oh one more question. The Q701's are on sell for under $250 on amazon! I really am tempted to pick these up, I've found them to be pretty sexy headphones. Also that price seems too legit to quit!

How would you say they compare thee 400s ordered? I assumed they may be a notch or two lower, but what do I know.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 14
Then, instead of then e10, I picked up the e17 for a bit more portability. I also heard it produced a little bit better sound.

I don't have the he-400s in yet, but my Grado sr80s have benefited from the e17. It really opens the sound stage. I'm still pretty new to all the audiophile terms, but with the e17 I can hear where each instrument is coming from a lot Better i feel.

Thanks again,
Kyle

Oh one more question. The Q701's are on sell for under $250 on amazon! I really am tempted to pick these up, I've found them to be pretty sexy headphones. Also that price seems too legit to quit!

How would you say they compare thee 400s ordered? I assumed they may be a notch or two lower, but what do I know.

Be aware K701/702 and most likely Q701 since they are based on one of those need more power to drive them well, I'm not sure E17 will be enough to do the job

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Thanks again,
Kyle

I'm your man!

I have an E17 and a pair of Q701s
I think the E17 is a great little piece of kit.
And I am an admitted Q701 fan boy.  Yes, $250 is too legit to quit.
But ya gotta drive 'em with something like a Matrix M Stage. Something with cojones.
Unfortunately, I can't get enough volume out of my E17 & Q701 combo, even with volume and gain on full.  I assume you are using the USB input on the E?

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 14
The Q701s don't pair well with E17. E17 has a relatively neutral system with somewhat of a dry (and to some ears a little hot) treble output, and the AKGs, being intrinsically bass-light and somewhat treble-happy, will thus sound thin and fast rather than balanced off the E17.

On the other hand the HE400s, which are relatively darker (not too dark though with velour pads) complement much better with the likes of E17.

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 14
I'd like to throw in one suggestion more: a modified pair of Fostex T50RP (either DIY or a ready-made pair, I have Mad Dog and very happy with them) and O2 + ODAC (or the future ODA if you're fine with waiting for a while).

My Mad Dogs sound great with any genre I throw at them and I know that (based on measurements) my ODAC is feeding the amp a very high-quality signal, so what's not to like. My amp is Matrix M-Stage so can't comment more specifically on the O2, but it also measures very well so I'd imagine it's a quality piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back